• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps still running in the background with Advanced Task Killer

Those are not apps running, they are the last apps you used.

Also, are you coming from a Windows Mobile environment? The reason I ask is, Android does not need a task killer on most programs. Some programs have bugs in them (poorly designed) and do not permit Android to shut them down. Sometimes they even prevent your phone from going to sleep. I came from a WM phone, so I thought I had to have a task killer. Then I learned how Android works and I haven't used one since.

Upvote 0
Those are not apps running, they are the last apps you used.

Also, are you coming from a Windows Mobile environment? The reason I ask is, Android does not need a task killer on most programs. Some programs have bugs in them (poorly designed) and do not permit Android to shut them down. Sometimes they even prevent your phone from going to sleep. I came from a WM phone, so I thought I had to have a task killer. Then I learned how Android works and I haven't used one since.

The Incredible comes with a task killer, and it's a godsend given how easy it is to leave like thirty apps running. :rolleyes:

I'll check out running tasks and see all sorts of stuff I didn't realize was still open, so I kill 'em. The guy at the Verizon store even included that as part of the tutorial.

Upvote 0
Holding down the home button does bring up apps still running. Try it with apps that allow you to exit. If you exit properly (or use the back button), it won't show up, but if you hit the home button (which leaves it still running), then it does show up on the list when holding down the home button. I don't think this all matters much since Android is still supposed to kill the background apps if RAM is tight.

Upvote 0
Holding down the home button does bring up apps still running. Try it with apps that allow you to exit. If you exit properly (or use the back button), it won't show up, but if you hit the home button (which leaves it still running), then it does show up on the list when holding down the home button. I don't think this all matters much since Android is still supposed to kill the background apps if RAM is tight.
Not 100% in agreement with you here.

Holding down the home button brings up the last 6 programs that ran. Not necessarily those that are still running.

If you really want to see what your phone is doing, install
Android System Info.

http://androidforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=684923

Upvote 0
Not 100% in agreement with you here.
Holding down the home button brings up the last 6 programs that ran. Not necessarily those that are still running.

Try this experiment. Open up Gallery, and then back out of it. Holding down home button doesn't display gallery (it was closed by back button). Open up gallery again and then press home button (left gallery still running). And now hold home button and the gallery will be displayed. If holding home button always displayed last 6 apps that ran, then the two different behaviors should have same result, but they don't, which means your statement is incorrect.

Upvote 0
Try this experiment. Open up Gallery, and then back out of it. Holding down home button doesn't display gallery (it was closed by back button). Open up gallery again and then press home button (left gallery still running). And now hold home button and the gallery will be displayed. If holding home button always displayed last 6 apps that ran, then the two different behaviors should have same result, but they don't, which means your statement is incorrect.

Tried that on my Desire. Holding down the home button still shows the gallery (photos) on the six last used list. Same experiment with Twidroid (that has it's own "exit application" option) so I tend to agree that the holding down of home shows the last six USED apps, not open.

Upvote 0
Tried that on my Desire. Holding down the home button still shows the gallery (photos) on the six last used list. Same experiment with Twidroid (that has it's own "exit application" option) so I tend to agree that the holding down of home shows the last six USED apps, not open.

Interesting, my Acer Liquid (I have 1.6 ROM, there are 2.1 leaked ROMs available too) behaves differently. Using the Exit on my browser also removes it from the 'Home' button. But if I press home and then hold home, it is displayed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones