• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps that are safe to disable?

pinkfrog876

Dec 5, 2011
So far I've disabled these:

Amazon Kindle
Apps
Backup Assistant Plus (both of them)
Blockbuster
Books
Facebook for HTC Sense
Flickr
Footprints (what is this even...?)
Friend Stream (all three, incl. widget)
Google+
Hot Pursuit
Let's Golf
Mail
MailWidget
Mobile Hostpot
Mobile IM (both)
News
News Widget
NFL Mobile
Peep (what is this??)
Picasa Web Albums
Slacker
Stocks (all 3 incl widget)
Talk
TalkBack (what is this?)
Trends widget
Twitter widget
V Cast Music
Verizon Video
VideoSurf
VZ Navigator
Watch
Watch Widget

Not sure what else I can safely disable. Any others?

How do you disable apps?

if you are on ICS you can easily disable them in the apps menu by selecting the app

im not sure if the rezound has received the OTA yet, and if it hasnt and you are still on GB, you need to be rooted and install titanium backup, and just freeze the apps, or uninstall them, but it is a safer bet to freeze them

Upvote 0
Stupid question alert.... What are the pros for disabling these apps? Not trying to be a smarta$$ just not as phone savvy as you all seem to be, I've been working on disabling the ones listed. Thanks!

They aren't running on your phone anymore, not even in the background. Disabling them will help with your phone freeing up space and energy. I saved a little extra memory and battery life thanks to giving some app's the shut down. It's also a freeing experience to give Verizon's bloatware the heave-ho :)

Reactions: IRuninCircles
Upvote 0
So far I've disabled these:

Amazon Kindle
Apps
Backup Assistant Plus (both of them)
Blockbuster
Books
Facebook for HTC Sense
Flickr
Footprints (what is this even...?)
Friend Stream (all three, incl. widget)
Google+
Hot Pursuit
Let's Golf
Mail
MailWidget
Mobile Hostpot
Mobile IM (both)
News
News Widget
NFL Mobile
Peep (what is this??)
Picasa Web Albums
Slacker
Stocks (all 3 incl widget)
Talk
TalkBack (what is this?)
Trends widget
Twitter widget
V Cast Music
Verizon Video
VideoSurf
VZ Navigator
Watch
Watch Widget

Not sure what else I can safely disable. Any others?

Lol I wondered the same about Pep and footprints so I asked htc. Footprints is a photo journal basically that can be shared or get you stalked. Peep is a replacement type app to use for twitter. Talkback is a feature for the visually impaired if I am not mistaken. Theres actually an update in the sore for it lol. not needed for most people unless its a google app they call a system app. All things facebook can go.

Upvote 0
Does it hurt to disable apps?
Yes, but it only hurts Verizon. :)

Honestly, generally speaking no, it doesn't hurt anything but there are some apps if you disable them the phone will not function properly and may fail to boot at all and you will have to factory default to get it back. If you stick to the supplied "safe" lists you should be OK. It can actually speed up your phone and increase battery life somewhat.

Reactions: Nosferatu49426
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones