• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps that can and can't be removed after root

This post was found in the Htc Incredible forum. I enabled verizon backup assistant by mistake, and how i got it to stop was by using titanium backup an freezing backup assistant an sync service. I can confirm that freezing those two apps has not made me have any errors what so ever.

There may be other ways to disable backup assistant, but follow these steps to remove duplicate contacts and backup assistant without having to factory reset. Please be aware that I just tinkered around until I got the desired result. I'm no expert and I have no idea if this effects the phone in any other way. I did this over the weekend and everything is working perfectly on my phone. So proceed at your own risk, I don't want to get any pm's about how your phone blew up. I'm just trying to help out here.

1) Be sure to have all your contacts backed up to your Gmail account. Check online before proceeding to step 2.

2) Log into your My Verizon account. Go to the contacts tab, sort by list view and select all contacts. Delete the entire list. There's a deleted contacts tab as well. Select that and delete anything that's in there.

3) Go into your Incredible settings tab, select applications, manage applications. Do not sort or filter, allow list to populate. Select Sync Service, (icon resembles backup assistant icon) select clear data.

4) Also in manage applications scroll down to backup assistant, select clear data. This should do it.

5) To verify backup assistant is now disabled, select settings, accounts and sync, then under manage accounts, select backup assistant. You should be looking at a license agreement screen.

No more backup assistant, no factory reset.

Upvote 0
This post was found in the Htc Incredible forum. I enabled verizon backup assistant by mistake, and how i got it to stop was by using titanium backup an freezing backup assistant an sync service. I can confirm that freezing those two apps has not made me have any errors what so ever.

I made the same mistake on my Inc when I first got it. I wish this was around when I needed it

Upvote 0
If you ever want to receive an OTA update from VZW you should not just remove/delete any program you consider "bloat." You need all the apps on the phone that it shipped with in order to receive ANY update that VZW pushes to your phone. Freezing apps is fine as you can unfreeze them with Titanium Backup.

I don't use Titanium Backup so this is how I safely remove apps I don't want. With root explorer in system/app I make an app.disable folder and put all the "bloat" in there. If I ever want to receive an OTA update I can move all the apps back to system/app. Off topic, but definitely relevant, just an FYI, usually accepting an OTA update will break the current exploits used to achieve superuser permissions and root access. Jcase and his squad will usually be able to get us root access again, but it can take a while. Personally I just wait for a developer to make a ROM or update his ROM to includes the newest update because it won't break root and they usually get the source codes weeks before VZW pushes it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones