• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps that currently do NOT work on the Xoom

Continuous client should work between Android and Trillian 5.0 on Windows already. It won't to OS X just yet, however; I'm working on that as we speak. (Must... finish... regression tests! Need... dinner! So... hungry I'm... speaking... like Shatner!)

Indeed it does. One thing is that yahoo messenger doesn't stay logged in on both Windows and Xoom. Should I report this bug or is it something that's known?

That's not Xoom-specific (or even Honeycomb specific), but I can see how it would be way more obnoxious on a tablet, yeah. Might not hurt to toss a link to the ticket onto the Android section of our forums to get folks to vote up the ticket, too.

(Tickets in Bugzilla that have been voted up get higher priority attention when we put together a list of 'what should get addressed in the next build.' I.e., the squeakiest wheels tend to get grease the quickest.)

Yea, it's not Honeycomb specific at all, but, it definitely is more annoying on the Xoom since I have it widescreen 99.9% of the time. It's a minor bug and if there are higher priority bugs by all means go for those. I just wanted to make sure it's in the queue for someone to look at. Who knows, maybe it's one of those "got nothing better to work on at the moment so let's grab a quick one out of the queue" kind of things. :D Thanks again for your attention to the Xoom and especially the new functionality of continuous client is absolutely AMAZING. Awesome job!

Upvote 0
Indeed it does. One thing is that yahoo messenger doesn't stay logged in on both Windows and Xoom. Should I report this bug or is it something that's known?

That's a limitation of Yahoo, not a Xoom bug, and there's not much we can do about it. The moment a new Y!IM client connects to a given Yahoo account, the Yahoo servers kick the old connection off. :/

Upvote 0
That's a limitation of Yahoo, not a Xoom bug, and there's not much we can do about it. The moment a new Y!IM client connects to a given Yahoo account, the Yahoo servers kick the old connection off. :/

That's a frustrating situation. I did notice that while I'm logged in on both the laptop and the Xoom, the Xoom says I'm disconnected yet is able to receive messages on Yahoo that I'm typing and receiving on the laptop. That's a neat trick. There's got to be a clever way to manage the presence though. Like moving the active connection to the device that's currently seen as the active trillian client? :)

Upvote 0
That's a frustrating situation. I did notice that while I'm logged in on both the laptop and the Xoom, the Xoom says I'm disconnected yet is able to receive messages on Yahoo that I'm typing and receiving on the laptop. That's a neat trick.

Yep. We can keep the conversation in sync via our continuous client functionality, we just can't have both 'live' at once. Reconnect on the Xoom, and the same will be true in reverse.

There's got to be a clever way to manage the presence though. Like moving the active connection to the device that's currently seen as the active trillian client? :)

Since the Yahoo connection thing is not Xoom-related, I'm going to suggest further talk on that might be better handled over on the Trillian forums to avoid derailing this thread. ;)

Upvote 0
Yep. We can keep the conversation in sync via our continuous client functionality, we just can't have both 'live' at once. Reconnect on the Xoom, and the same will be true in reverse.

Since the Yahoo connection thing is not Xoom-related, I'm going to suggest further talk on that might be better handled over on the Trillian forums to avoid derailing this thread. ;)

Good point. Apologies to those in this thread.

Upvote 0
It occurs to me that this thread started with a missing element. There are 2 classes of "Not Working". One is that they install and either partially or completely fail to work. The other is the Market fails to find them at all for a tablet running Honeycomb. The following apps come as "not found" since I got my Xoom yesterday:

Adobe Reader
Google Shopper
Fandango Movies
Google Translate
Lookout Mobile Security
Dial Zero
PDANet
Pocket Agent
Yahoo Messenger
Yahoo Mail

Then I have a whole list of things that would install but had glitches. I'm still exploring. My mantra: "I love the bleeding edge"
Too bad it isn't working very well ;-)

Upvote 0
Tango Mobile Video Call

This app wont show in the market on the xoom. Only on app brain but then it won't install.

I need it for work to video call with coworkers on ipad2.

Any ideas?

I found this same problem. A work around for now is Fring. But it only supports portrait right now. Hopefully they will make an update so that it can be landscape because of the position of our camera. But Fring does work well. I video chat with my wife on her Iphone 4.

Upvote 0
The Twit.tv app works, but I found my Xoom at 60% battery overnight on standby. It was barely responsive and battery manager said Twit was using all the cpu even doing nothing in background. It does have an exit button. So make sure you exit out or you can kiss 2 weeks standby goodbye. It did not kill the performance initially so it seems to be leaving running in background that destroys the battery and causes everything to lag horribly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones