• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps that DO NOT WORK on Rooted devices

Thatdad

Android Expert
Jun 4, 2013
South Georgia
So it has came to my attention that there are apps that do not work on Root??:thinking::thinking:

Posting this thread to possibly have a community based list of what apps do not work on rooted phones.

This is a pretty big deal and everyone should know what it is that is blocked before people decide to Root their device, so people know ALL the risks involved before people Root then just have to turn right around and have to UnRoot, causing more likeliness of something going wrong.

So far these are the Apps I have heard do not support Root:
1. The Sky TV app

2. Barclays Bank app

Please contribute to this list.

Wallet still works on every rooted device I've tested it on.

Does "works" that mean that transactions are successfully completed by tapping the rooted device on the vendor's device? I've only attempted it once and met with transaction failure and assumed that the "Unsupported Device", meaning the rooted Nexus 4, was the cause of the failure.

Upvote 0
Here's some more that won't work. ...

If you don't mind my saying so, "don't work" is an entirely inadequate description of any difficulties you might be having with apps on rooted devices, and simply listing app names isn't helpful to the developers..

One believes your time is valuable enough to give a detailed description of any complaints you might have.

Upvote 0
If you don't mind my saying so, "don't work" is an entirely inadequate description of any difficulties you might be having with apps on rooted devices, and simply listing app names isn't helpful to the developers..

One believes your time is valuable enough to give a detailed description of any complaints you might have.

When I find any bugs or I have complaints about an app I promptly contact the devs for suggestions on improvement.

Like funkylogik said this is for users.

If I was going to comment on a forum for a dev that would be more for the xda forums. ;)

Upvote 0
Does "works" that mean that transactions are successfully completed by tapping the rooted device on the vendor's device? I've only attempted it once and met with transaction failure and assumed that the "Unsupported Device", meaning the rooted Nexus 4, was the cause of the failure.

Yep, works rooted despite the message.

Not sure what happened with your transaction.

Use SuperSU, turn off root and the message goes away if it bugs you or you want to try it again that way.

Upvote 0
Then one can certainly take the time to describe the problem for other users.

I don't see what your trying to get at here. If it doesn't work (as in isn't compatible) it won't work or open. Its pretty self explanatory.

Edit-
Sorry if that came off as snippy, but this is just a list of apps that aren't compatible with Rooted devices.

If you think it'll improve the thread and community, I can post the devs xda forum url for each app? (that's if they even have one)

Upvote 0
I'm listening to tunes right now with Google Play Music on my rooted phone, playing free and purchased music. And I just opened a book from the Play Store on Play Books, no problem.

Not sure how those are issues for others.

I've heard from other forums it messes up on rooted phones sometimes. Maybe it depends on the device or ROM you're using?

Upvote 0
I don't see what your trying to get at here. If it doesn't work (as in isn't compatible) it won't work or open. Its pretty self explanatory.

Edit-
Sorry if that came off as snippy, but this is just a list of apps that aren't compatible with Rooted devices.

If you think it'll improve the thread and community, I can post the devs xda forum url for each app? (that's if they even have one)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea here is to list apps that are designed to check for root and refuse to run if on a rooted device...not to list apps that have bugs in need of repair just because those bugs manifest on rooted devices.

I would think we should especially avoid listing apps that merely fail to run on an aftermarket ROM, where all manner of incompatibilities can be introduced such as missing libraries and whatnot.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea here is to list apps that are designed to check for root and refuse to run if on a rooted device...not to list apps that have bugs in need of repair just because those bugs manifest on rooted devices.

I would think we should especially avoid listing apps that merely fail to run on an aftermarket ROM, where all manner of incompatibilities can be introduced such as missing libraries and whatnot.

Isn't there an app that forces the phone to report itself as non-rooted? If not, someone should write one....... ;)

--Wag--

Upvote 0
I'm listening to tunes right now with Google Play Music on my rooted phone, playing free and purchased music. And I just opened a book from the Play Store on Play Books, no problem.

Not sure how those are issues for others.

I've heard from other forums it messes up on rooted phones sometimes. Maybe it depends on the device or ROM you're using?

IIRC pre JB these were blocked on rooted devices. In JB they added device specific encryption so the content couldn't be played on another device. It would only work from play to the device. This coincided with us being able to have media available offline.

Upvote 0
IIRC pre JB these were blocked on rooted devices. In JB they added device specific encryption so the content couldn't be played on another device. It would only work from play to the device. This coincided with us being able to have media available offline.

Negative Ghost Rider.

I got bored with app trouble and other inconsistencies in HTC Jellybean, so I'm on ICS.

Running that stuff and have books offline.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones