Apps that seem to request access to stuff they shouldn't need

1. stanw

stanw Well-Known Member

I'm new to Android and it seems that almost every app that I want to download from Google Play wants to access things that do not seem to make sense to me. As an example, I just downloaded ES File Explorer and it wants access to my phone calls? Just curious why it might need that?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• app.jpg
      app.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Because it needs to know if there are phone calls at the moment. This is so that the app will automatically "pause in background". ES is a File Explorer app, which means its accessing the internal file system. You don't want it to suspend the ability to receive phone calls while in it.
  3. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

OP, chanchan is right on this one, though I would encourage you to be cautious with your installs. We are shown a given app's permissions for a reason, and you're smart to ask if you something seems fishy.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Most popular apps only request what they need to function. We have a great guide on app permissions here that I'm sure someone will link you before I make it to a computer.

If you are unsure on why an app needs something, you can always email the dev and ask

The read phone status is there to let the app know when you get a phone call so you van answer it. It is NOT recording or monitoring the call in any other way.
  5. RyanB

My experience with that has been hit or miss in terms of actually hearing back. I've also wondered why a dev who was actually looking to be sketchy would bother to reply honestly to begin with (and I don't day that to besmirch all devs).
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

If they don't reply, that's a pretty good hint to not use their product :p:)
  7. RyanB

That's how I usually take it
    Rxpert83 likes this.