apps that would uninstall. malicious?

Last Updated:

1. frubo

frubo New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I've got a Droid X running 2.2 and recently I noticed it was sending premium text messages out without my knowledge. Luckily I have premium texting disable on my verizon account so I received messages back telling me it was blocked. However I am worried about having malicious apps on my phone. I did a factory reset but there are still apps on my phone that look suspicious.

Here are some apps I found that had particularly suspicious permissions:

Video Editor Lite:
    Permissions:
    receive MMS, receive SMS
    full internet access
    modify/delete sd card contents
    read phone state and identity
    record audio
    prevent phone from sleeping, retrieve running apps

Video Player:
    Permissions:
    receive SMS
    change audio settings
    prevent phone from sleeping, retrieve running apps

Sticky Note:
    Permissions:
    read contact/owner data, write contact/owner data
    call phone numbers, send SMS messages
    edit SMS/MMS, read SMS/MMS receive SMS
    fine GPS location
    create bluetooth connections, full internet access
    act as account authenticator, manage accounts list, use authentication credentials of an account
    modify/delete SD card contents
    change WiFi state, modify global settings, prevent from sleeping, retrieve running apps

I feel like these apps weren't installed stock and shouldn't have all those permissions. I have no idea how these apps got on my phone but I cannot uninstall them using the normal method or factory reset. What is the easiest way to make sure my phone is safe from malicious apps? I was thinking of rooting my phone and trying to delete them manually but I do not know what I can delete and what I can't. I was also considering trying to flash it to stock with a sbf file but I've never done it and I don't want to brick my phone or anything. What should I do?

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Go into the Market app, press the options button and press Downloads. Look to see if any/all of these apps are listed there. If so uninstall them through the market app. These are not standard Verizon bloatware so I'm guessing that your market app seems to think they were install and is simply re-installing them after you factory reset.