Apps to SD worth it?

Last Updated:

1. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm thinking of trying to install apps to sd, but I want to know if people that have it find it worth the time/effort it will take to install. I haven't read up much on it so I'm interested in hearing some thoughts..

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

If you need the app storage space it is worth it. If you don't its not. If you don't need the space I don't even see the point.

3. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

What OMJ said.

Personally it's not worth it to me. I don't want apps taking up the space on my SD card. And I'm good with the internal space so far.

4. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

Where is this download?

5. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

It isn't really a download it is an option that you can use with Cyanogen Mod by Koush...

6. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

You are forgetting about something. The ability to flash ROMs and do system wipes without ever again having to reinstall your apps. :D

As for the "is it worth the trouble", if you are running a Cyanogenmod ROM, it is no trouble at all. 4 screenpresses in rom manager and then tick an option in the application menu of the phone and viola, you are done.

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

meh titanium backup restores my apps in a new presses. Better chance of apps running slow if they are running off the sd.

8. tjbugs1

tjbugs1 Well-Known Member

I am running Cyanogen now, will I have to reinstall all my APPs that are now on the phone if I do this?

9. Fadelight

That's what they say. :rolleyes: I haven't seen that to be the case, though.

10. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Well considering there are MANY games out there..plus other apps that store their data to the SD, and run just fine without lag issues, there should not be a problem with apps2SD.. especially since the app loads most of itself into memory upon starting.

I've heard many a story now of apps2sd running on the Droid with no issues whatsoever.

11. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

doesnt this require a class6 card? the stock one is only class2

12. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to be much point in running a Class 6 card, since the Droid's hardware cannot transfer data any faster than a Class 2 card anyhow.

EDIT: Read below, as there seems to be a marginal difference. I stand with my opinion of there not being much of a point since I have not heard of any "Fail" stories on the subject yet. :)

13. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

One of the folks over at Droid Forums ran some tests yesterday after I made this very statement, which seem to disprove the theory. The difference between the two was small, but more pronounced the more data was being moved.

[ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0 ESE81 - Page 152 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

14. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

15. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

No, but before I saw the testing results from yesterday, I believed that the Droid couldn't read/write at speeds greater than Class 2. I was one of the people that thought it wouldn't be worthwhile with a Class 2 card.

16. leoninter

leoninter Member

I've been running CM 5.0.6.2 for two weeks now. I moved the majority of apps to the SD card. I am running Bekits 7 step kernel at 1200 very smooth, no discernible lag. I went from 20MB free to 100MB after moving apps to SD card. Gained room to install Google Earth which runs smooth off the SD card. No force closes unless I run Helix Laucher2.

17. Fadelight

I've been running apps2sd since the first announcement that CM supported it. I run absolutely every app I have (including Helix Launcher2) from the SD card with no noticeable lag. I am still using the stock class2 16gb card that came with the phone, too.