apps using battery

1. iPodEater

iPodEater Member

How can I figure out what apps are using up all of my battery. My phone doesn't stay charged nearly as long as it did when I first got it?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Peaches037

Peaches037 Well-Known Member

Go to settings and open running applications. Forceclose the apps your not using. Hope that helps:)
  3. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Killing or force closing apps won't help especially if you use those apps frequently, the phone will just restart the apps after a while, killing more battery than just leaving them alone. Using a task manager will also just make the phone "addicted" to the task manager, making it not function properly anymore without a task manager due to the phone taking to the kill processes.

It would be best if you just listed down the apps you have. ezPDF for example has a bug which forces the CPU to run at 100% killing the battery fast. I have no idea if they already fixed this.
    Crashdamage likes this.
  5. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Check 'Settings > Applications > Battery use'.
  6. jefboyardee

I agree with that in theory, but wind up using killers for two reasons: (a)they do seem to provide more free memory, and (b) if they
  7. Kicksilver

Kicksilver Well-Known Member

You don't need to kill anything in Android.

It's Linux, not Windows.
  8. rickaltman

rickaltman Active Member

I think what our community needs is some best practices and good guidelines. For instance, what is the battery hit imposed by NFC? What is more hungry, 4G or WiFi? Should we always keep Bluetooth on? Where does screen brightness fit on the power spectrum? GPS and Location services?

I would be most grateful for someone smarter than I to speak with authority on the resources that are the most battery-draining so we can make informed choices.

And then, how great would it be to have an app that acts like Windows power profiles: Activate the high-performance profile when plugged in at home and then switch quickly to the high-efficiency profile when on the road. I'd pay real coin for something like that...

Rick A.
    Pleasanton CA
  9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

You can go to Settings > Battery or Settings > About phone > Battery depending on your phone and take a look to see what is using the most battery. It is important to note that this is just showing you what percentage each item is responsible for. The "screen" will always be at the top and Android OS, Phone Idle and Cell Standby will typically be up there too. You can select many of these to get more information as well.

Overall, it is probably one of three things that is consuming more battery power on your phone.

1) An app you have installed is not playing nice and is not shutting down properly or running in the background too much. You can check you apps to see which ones are set to auto update and adjust their times if needed (weather apps/widgets, facebook, Google +, Rss or news readers are big culprits). A live wallpaper is also an app that can cause a big decrease in battery life. Task Killers are another battery killer, if you are using one then it is probably a good idea to get rid of it. Anything that gets your CPU going will consume battery.

2) You are in an area that has poorer signal than you used to be. Poor signal will kill your battery faster than just about anything else. Check your signal out a few times a day and see if it is significantly different in any of the areas you go to on a regular basis.

3) You. If you are using the phone more than you used to or doing something different with your phone now then your battery life will be different. Are you streaming more media, playing games or surfing the web more than you used to? Anything and everything you do with the phone will use up battery even just turning it on.

As someone mentioned, listing your apps can be helpful sometimes. Plenty of members here have run into apps that just eat batteries and know what to avoid. Letting everyone know what you have on your phone can go a long way towards solving the problem.

Good luck.

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Crashdamage likes this.
  11. rab1412000

rab1412000 Active Member

Use betterbatterystats. Google it.

Basically look for wake locks.
    There are certain apps that prevent the phone from going into deep sleep and this is usually what drains battery fastest.
  12. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

13. Kicksilver

Wifi uses WAY less power than any other radio.

Unless you're sitting below the broadcast antenna.
  14. rickaltman

rickaltman Active Member

This has become an excellent discussion, many thanks to all. I so wish that I could turn my screen brightness down or go exclusively with dark screens and reversed-out text, but my north-of-50 eyes will hear nothing of it. I do it whenever I can (like on my home screens, where I can make the icons bigger) but cannot with my text or email apps.

Meanwhile, I will reiterate how great it would be to discover an app that allowed us to create power profiles:

HIGH-PERFORMANCE: Screen bright, 4G on, high-frequency alerts, Bluetooth on, etc.

LOW-POWER: Screen dim, alerts off, Bluetooth off, etc.

Create a Power folder, create icons for each profile, activate them with one touch -- rock star...
  15. Kicksilver

I think Tasker app does that.
  16. NinerBikes

NinerBikes Well-Known Member

Is there any way this can be made a "sticky" in a consolidated version?

Short version: anything that uses radio waves to send and receive is a battery consumptive use. Blue tooth, wifi, 4G, 3G, phone calls, GPS, all use the antenna to send signals... just not sure the order in which they suck the most amount of juice, highest to lowest.

Volume on radio, speakers, headphones, etc... turned down is less draw.

Anything that keeps your screen lit up brighter than it needs to be, or for longer than it needs to be before it times out, is another consumptive use.

A PowerMiser App would be helpful... run full juice when charging, less backlight when inside, etc.
  17. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Power Tudor seems to do a good jobs of letting you know which apps draw the most power (how wifi/3G effect power). Only turn it on for 5-10 minutes to monitor, and it won't be a drain.
  18. jefboyardee

Best explained in a thread from that other forum, called Reject Gingerbread. For reasons within, I
  19. RyanB

RyanB Guest

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zomut.watchdog

Watchdog Task Manager works by monitoring your CPU, and alerts you when apps exceed the threshold the user sets, with the option to kill that app. I've seen Amazon's appstore get greedy and really hog the processor. There's also a lite version.
    jefboyardee likes this.
  20. jefboyardee

Tried it before and it bothered me, now I have to try it again and find out why.
  21. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Why did it bother you?
  22. jefboyardee

As I said, I have to try it again and find out why, but as I recall, it was reporting a must-have-can’t-uninstall app -- Clipper Plus -- as misbehaving. I’ll let you know later.
  23. RyanB

RyanB Guest

You can "whitelist" apps, so they're ignored
  24. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

"Power Tutor" will show you the exact amount of joules used by each app (with or without display). When I find two apps which do the same functions (eg. Astro and ES explorer, AVG and Zoner), I run both at the same time and then check Power Tutor to see which one uses more battery over the same period of time. I then delete the more power hungry app. It is much more precise than "Wheres My Droid Power" and you can reset the start and finish at any time.
  25. jefboyardee

Can we whitelist Carrier IQ?