1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Apps wanting Google login details

Last Updated:

1. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've installed some apps that require access to my Google account, and I've simply had to give them permission to access my Google account using my phone's login.

There are two apps that I'm thinking about installing (Gdocs and Phone-to-Chrome) that don't use the phone's Google login, but ask me to enter my login details to the program.

Assuming I trust the applications not to misuse my login details, and am sure that they're transmitted securely, is there any reason why I shouldn't install these apps.

Lots of people seem to use these apps, so am I worrying about nothing?

Advertisement
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Probably. But if there's a way for an app to use my credentials (with my permission) without having to know what they are (there is, as you know), and a developer writes their app such that I must provide my credentials to the app, I will find another app or do without.

3. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Read the app description for gdocs in the market! It states it can sync with your google docs account which is associated with GMAIL. And chrome to phone is dev by GOOGLE which happens to own GMAIL. No need to worry.

4. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't think there are any equivalent apps, but I do think that I might do without both in the short-term. Thanks for the advice.

I have read the app description for both apps. I know that Gdocs is designed to sync with Google Docs, and I know that my Google Docs account is associated with Google. My problem is that it doesn't use the credentials that are associated with the phone.

Chrome to Phone is a Google app, which I have already installed. I do know that Google runs Gmail. The other app that I was concerned about isn't "phone to chrome", it's "android2cloud" which I don't think is a Google App.