• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps which are not completely uninstalled

jhmac77

Jan 7, 2014
l uninstalled Google Search and Google Play store apps, but they were not completely uninstalled and now I can't reinstall them because the store says they are installed. I cannot find them on my android tablet and so I cannot use them. How do I correct this problem? What is a good app to completely uninstall them. Some of these apps will not install on my Lenovo tablet.
Jim​

progress.gif
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Thanks

l uninstalled Google Search and Google Play store apps, but they were not completely uninstalled and now I can't reinstall them because the store says they are installed. I cannot find them on my android tablet and so I cannot use them. How do I correct this problem? What is a good app to completely uninstall them.​

First you need to discover whether the apps are still indeed installed, or whether there are support files still hanging around that are causing your issue. Download and install X-plore File Manager or ES File Explorer. They both allow visibility to the /system partition without requiring root. If the apps are indeed still installed, they will be in /system/app in plain text. Older versions of Android broke Search into two apps: "Google Search" (GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk) and "Voice Search" (VoiceSearch.apk). Newer versions have it consolidated into a single app, Velvet.apk. Play store is com.android.vending-<ver#>.apk or Phonesky.apk. If the files are there, first verify that you don't have them disabled. Do this by going to Manage apps under System Settings, and checking the apps from the ALL and/or TURNED OFF tabs. If disabled (or "Turned Off" as it is called since Android 4.3) press the button to re-enable (or "Turn on"), and then reboot. If that resolved it, then you're done. If not, go back to /system/app in X-plore or ES, and try to do a manual install (long-press, then "Open by

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones