Apps won't downloadSupport

Last Updated:

1. Overtrick

Overtrick New Member This Topic's Starter

Firstly, I am new here, so apologies if this has been asked a million times and is a massive known issue or whatever. I had quite a good look but couldn't find any solutions.

Anyway, after having an iPhone for a long time, I upgraded my contract and got an HTC Desire today. So far I am loving it, however, one thing is annoying me. I go to the Android Market and try to download apps, and it just stays on the 'Starting Download' screen forever, and just doesn't download. I have tried Twitter, Shazam, and a couple of themes, none of them work.

I read about the Google account things, and I think I have an account on my phone but I honestly don't know how to switch to gmail and all that, this is my first Android phone and I am still learning about it!

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

You can't download anything without a gmail googlemail account. You can't even browse the apps, so you must have set one up when you went through the phone set up.

Is it googlemail or gmail.com?

Sometimes, if you go into menu>settings>applications>manage applications>market

Clear cache, this resolves download problems.

3. Overtrick

Tried clearing the cache, and then downloading something, but it still just says 'Starting Download', so that didn't work, I think.

On the Googlemail issue, it is definitely a googlemail account, as I haven't seen gmail mentioned on my phone since I got it. I read somewhere that switching between the two may help, but like I said in my original post, I don't even know how to do that.

Thanks!

4. SUroot

The issue can be caused by the switch from googlemail to gmail, so if you haven't done that it isn't an issue right now.

Have you removed the battery for 15 seconds and tested it again after that?

Also, you can browse the internet ok?

5. Overtrick

I can access the Internet, and it is pretty fast. I only have 1 or two bars signal, if that might affect anything, and the little arrows under 3G don't always flash, if any of that helps anyway. I only got the phone today, and don't really want to have to send away for a replacement already...

6. SUroot

And the battery question?

7. Overtrick

Nothing, I don't think. It is weird, the little arrows flash at the top at the start, but then stop. It also keeps switching between 3G and 3G+, if that means anything. Sorry if this is all basic and everyone should know it, I honestly don't have a clue.

I have just tried to download an App from the Orange store, I downloaded Flixster, and that worked first time, if that means anything.

8. Raggy

Raggy Well-Known Member

I think its the same thing as others have had, mine also stalls at starting download, sorry don't know how to cure it tho it will eventually download

9. sar050680

sar050680 Active Member

Hi Overtick, I had the same problem for the first couple of days when I got my Desire, what i did was a factory data reset, (settings>SD&phone storage>factory data reset).

I dont think I set up my Googlemail account as I should have when setting up the phone. Maybe you could try "setup" first, rather than a reset mate.

Hope this helps.

10. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

This may be unrelated, but I sometimes get the "starting download" stall on app updates, and every single time it's been solved by increasing the available phone storage memory. Last weekend I had 7 updates that started but wouldn't download, so I deleted a few unwanted font files and the downloads started. Could be that the phone needs temporary space to download and install the files? I don't know for sure, but it helped me every time.

FYI, my storage was at around 135/147mb whan the downloads stalled, and they worked again after getting it to around 126/147mb.

11. forza2020

forza2020 Well-Known Member

If you do a google search "Can't download from Android market" you will see that this is a problem that affects probably thousands of users. I have this problem since doing a factory reset yesterday.
    I got my Samsung Galaxy S in June and never had a problem until yesterday.

I have a googlemail account, never had a Gmail account. I have tried deleting the Market cache, removing the battery, Force Closing etc etc. Nothing yet works!

Sort it out Google!!!!

12. suberizedwrx@gmail.com

suberizedwrx@gmail.com Member

SOLVED...possibly....and annoyingly.....

I have a rooted G1 running CM6. Lately my phone has been stalling on downloads as well. I've heard that some people do a trick with Google Talk, but when I try this, GTalk doesn't even open. I figured that this has something to do with my Google Apps that I flashed to the phone in recovery mode after installing CM6. All my Gapps worked initially, so I figured that a reflash of the Gapp from my microSD card would do the trick. It did! This trick lasted for a couple downloads before my phone reverted to it's stalled download condition once again. I'm hoping to flash to a different ROM (Biffmod 2.1) in hopes of fixing the problem. Hope this helps.

13. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin Well-Known Member

I thought my Ally was starting to have the problem today, however I restarted the phone a whopping 4 times and viola, it was finally whipped back into shape. Thank god