• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps you can't live without

tfleming23

Nov 8, 2009
What are some of the apps that you cannot live with out. Trying to maximize what I am doing with my Droid and want to see what others are using frequently and why?

Also, if anyone is an app developer, an interface to allow you to transfer tivo recordings onto the droid via wifi would be suhhhweeeeeet.

It would be awesome if people would post the QR Code to go along with their favorite apps. Sometimes there are way too many results when I search for some of these. But then again, I'm new.

For threads like this, I sit at my computer and search google with this string:

site:androlib.com "splashid"

Then use the barcode scanner app to read the QR Code on the result on the Droid.

Yes, I could do it all on the droid, but I find it faster this way when I'm going to install and test 20, 30 apps at a time. Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

Then use the barcode scanner app to read the QR Code on the result on the Droid.

Yes, I could do it all on the droid, but I find it faster this way when I'm going to install and test 20, 30 apps at a time. Hope that helps :)

how do you scan it? I don't understand this process.

Upvote 0
how do you scan it? I don't understand this process.

1. Download an app called Barcode Scanner on your android device.
2. Open barcode scanner app, point it at the QR code on the androlib page
3. Click "open in browser" when it locks on the barcode
4. You are now in the market on your droid and can install from there.

Hope that makes sense!

Upvote 0

This tip is sick. Thanks!

Dave

Upvote 0
I love Locale. It allows you to control settings of your phone based on: GPS location, time of day, calendar, contacts, etc. Seems to really help conserve battery power, as with "situations" you define, you can shut down Bluetooth, Wifi, turn off ringer, dim screen etc. I have situations for work and home time slots, both of which have wi-fi on and Bluetooth off. Then I have mobile time slots established where I do the opposite; Bluetooth on (in the car) and wi-fi off so that it's not constantly searching for signal. Helps alot!

Upvote 0
Be careful. I have run into a couple of apps that are listed on Androlib that are not in the Market, and vice versa (not really a major problem considering the number of apps out there, but it can happen).

Also, Androlib seems to be a bit behind the the version number.

Finally, Androlib does not support Google Search options - AM does: Google search - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If anyone know of a Fx extension for PCs that will display the QR Code right in the Google Search, that would be awesome....

Upvote 0
For Me I am pretty fond of all my applications, but if I had to list a some they would be:

Nimbuz (free Multi Chat app)
Barcode Scanner (Free)
Advanced App Killer (Free)
Google Maps (free)
Where (free)
3Banana (Free Note Pad)
MountUSB (Free)
MotoTorch (2nd Pay App .99)
Talk To Me ( Free Voice Translater AWESOME App)

What I would Like to see come out is an app for Video Recording for the Motorola Droid That would be spectacular REALLY!!!

Upvote 0
For Me, I am pretty fond of all my applications, but if I had to list some they would be:

Nimbuz (free Multi Chat app, Ymessenger, Skype, Gtalk, Myspace to many to list)
Barcode Scanner (Free)
Advanced App Killer (Free)
Google Maps (free)
Where (free)
3Banana (Free Note Pad)
MountUSB (Free)
MotoTorch (2nd Pay App .99)
Talk To Me ( Free Voice Translater AWESOME App)

What I would Like to see come out is an app for Video Recording for the Motorola Droid That would be spectacular REALLY!!!

Upvote 0

other than the default camera app? are there any particular features you're looking for that doesn't come in the stock video recording app? there's qik, which can even do live feeds, that's a pretty cool app. but i use the default one most of the time.

i can't live without

dxTop ($2.99, home replacement)
startup auditor ($.99, stop programs from starting on startup, or ever opening at all)
quick settings (free, notification bar access to a *lot* of settings)
lightning bug (free, for rain sounds etc when going to sleep)
last.fm (free, radio type service, i also use slacker, pandora and AOR but prefer last.fm)
abduction (free game)
ringdroid (free, ringtone editor/creator)
advanced task manager (free, for hand-killing apps when necessary)
google voice (free visual voicemail)
barcode scanner (free, for scanning QR codes especially for apps, eg androlib.com)
shop savvy (free, for scanning real barcodes in stores, friends houses, to create wishlists and comparison shop)
wavesecure (free, remotely lock down (and make your phone scream LOUD!), wipe, backup your phone (backup is limited to contacts and sms though, not the entire phone))

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones