apps2sd: for performance or storage?

Last Updated:

1. JKib

JKib Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm running extrSense 3.1 & it's very responsive. I'm really hoping it maintains its speed after I reinstall all my apps.

It has the option to use apps2sd. I'm wondering, does apps2sd install apps to sd so there's more memory for the os to use, or is it just to have more room for more apps?

Performance or starage?

Advertisement
  2. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Storage... more room for apps. In theory your apps may run a bit slower because SD cards are not as fast as the internal memory of the phone.

JKib likes this.
  3. maddog015

maddog015 Well-Known Member

Storage. But I've never noticed any sort of lag with my apps. At least, not yet.

I'm on EE3.0 with apps2sd

4. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

the big reason that i use a2sd is because it saves you from having to re-install apps every time you wipe.

5. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

But if you want to switch between Eclair and Froyo ROMs, then you can't have an A2SD partition, right?

I would enable A2SD, not because I need more storage, but because I want my phone to have more free memory and run faster. Is this a good reason to enable A2SD? I'm running XtrROM with JIT enabled and OCd.

6. JKib

JKib Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That was my original question. From the responses thus far, it seems its only benefit is more storage for more apps, not more memory for faster performance.

7. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

Worse case senario you can always get a faster class flash card if you notice slowing of the apps while using app2sd.

Also 2.1 ext patition is not compatible with 2.2. So if you switch between the 2 you will have to reload apps. Froyo handles apps to flash different than the apps2sd app does.

8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I have to say that my phone running XTR feels faster since switching to a2sd. It's definitely not slower.