Apps2SD Function Questions

Last Updated:

1. apollomaker

apollomaker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Again Guys --- as I dive deeper into Fresh 2.0d, more questions surface. I searched around the site, and on XDA, and found some posts and comments that come real close to answering these questions about Apps2SD, but not quite. Here are my questions:

(1) Does Apps2SD put both system and user apps on the EXT partition on the SD, or just user apps?

(2) In line with question one, must the SD card be formatted (partitioned) before installing the ROM, or can it be formatted afterwards and is there any difference? (before or after). Asked another way, would Fresh 2.0d use the EXT partition to place its system apps there if it sees the EXT partition at flash time?

Now that I am flashed with the ROM, if I go back, backup the files on the FAT32 SD, then partition with the RA, then move the backed up files back to the FAT32 partition, do we just get use out of the EXT partition for future user apps when loaded?

Anyone gotten this deep into it yet ??? Seems like the EXT partition on the SD card would of great benefit, given the marginal internal RAM we have.

Comments??? Thanks --- ;)

Advertisement
  2. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

1)Everything in /system/app and /system/app-private are moved to the ext partition.

2)If you have it partitioned properly before you install the ROM it will move the apps over on first boot. If you Install the ROM and later partition the sdcard it should automatically move it on the next boot.

3)If you put something, like your backed up apps on the sdcard, and then go into recovery and partition the sdcard the first thing you will notice when you try to get your files off the sdcard is they are gone. When you partition everything on the sdcard is wiped. So save anything on the sdcard you want to keep by backing it up to your computer.

4)apps2sd has it's benefits and it's drawbacks. I can run them fine on my sandisk class 2 but most people say not to bother unless you have class 6. It writes and reads more to your sdcard which every piece of flash memory has a limited number of read/writes so you are shortening the life of your sdcard, especially if you transfer the dalvik cache over also. Oh, and don't try to swap your sdcard out with another one since your apps and cache are on it.

ToxicToastKatz and apollomaker like this.
  3. apollomaker

apollomaker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the confirmations. And yes, the flash RAM has a finite life so there are some plus and minus factors to be considered. But at the same time, the RAM in the phone itself is subject to the same limitations. Oh well, can't have everything :D -- Thanks again for the info!!! Much appreciated.

Cheers -- Bob -- ;)