Apps2sd is apparently a placebo on the IncredibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After testing both stock 2.1 and 2.2 and different rom bakes, the conclusion is that the Incredible for some reason does not really have "true" apps2sd (as define by Android). It appears that regardless of if most of an app is moved to the sd or not, the total available app space is nowhere near even the 748mb on device and the ceiling is actually around 500mb when "low on space" errors begin popping up.

Key example is when apps are shifted to the sd, the low on space error still happened, regardless of cache and message spaces being clean. I tested this with stock as well.

The app install space is not to be confused with data downloads that some apps automatically install to sd (games like Quake, Nova, etc), but the actuall apps2sd move process in the app manager.

It does not matter where the weight of the apps is installed, since whether having 300mb apps on the device and 200mb apps on the card results in the same thing as 500mb of apps on the device and 0mb apps on the sd- low on space is the result.

On the Incredible, apps2sd is really app displacement. As a result, it is better not to use apps2sd, since saves space on the microsd card and makes no difference to the amount of apps you can install. Also, there is no way to get anywhere near the 748mb, yet alone having that much on the device and part of apps on the microsd (total would be a more than 748mb).

added:

A few others have noticed this now too, but makes sense only some of us see it, since not all folks are app hounds.

Advertisement
    sal_shawn likes this.
  2. sal_shawn

sal_shawn Well-Known Member

I think its stupid, it should install apps to the internal phone storage instead of the phone memory. So we wouldn't need to worry about low memory.

3. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

remember that you wont have all 500 since there are some of the phones software on there. the 7xx MBs is shared still

4. Los88

Los88 Active Member

I install my apps to my sd card. I have never had the low memory error and it says I have 615mb free

5. rushmore

The problem starts when you hit 250 to 300mb free.

Los88 likes this.
  6. imtoomuch

imtoomuch Well-Known Member

I have gotten the low memory error when I have had plenty of space (hundreds of MBs at least) left on the internal storage and the card. It seems like it's more of a software bug than anything. Am I wrong in assuming this?

7. Los88

Los88 Active Member

Oh, thanks for the heads up

8. rushmore

May be a bios and software bug, since for some reason, the Incredible appears to only really have around 500mb of actual space (not 748) and apps2sd does not matter, since the total still ends up being 500mb, regardless of using apps2sd or not. It never made sense that when using apps2sd, the low on space error kept happening at even lower space levels, but then when I tested and added the app space up- it was STILL about 500mb.

Incredible does not really have apps2sd, it has displacement that actuall is bad, since takes space from the SD card. Just put it all on the device and save the space on the sd- due to the bug.

If it is a software bug, it has been around since 2.1.

Bulldog likes this.
  9. Bulldog

Bulldog Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, I thought I was going crazy! I installed a few more apps today and of my claimed 748mb total space I had about 390 free and got the "low space" warning for the first time ever. I have not used "move to SD" before but did so and shuffled about 45mb over to SD. This did not remedy anything.

Is this phone too advanced, or too stupid?! First, most apps can't access the internal 6.6gb storage at all, then I'm not seeing the 512mb ram claimed, now my 748mb app storage is actually under 500??? I love this phone but some of this stuff is enough to make you question what Google/HTC/Verizon actually test in a phone? Don't the claimed specs get checked out?! So strange.

10. howarmat

i am pretty sure you are misreading many things

11. smt0222

smt0222 New Member

howarmat likes this.
  12. howarmat

smt0222 likes this.