Apps2sd not working

Last Updated:

1. Hordriss

Hordriss Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all.

I've tried to get apps2sd working on my phone. In fact, I flashed my rom all over again to get it working, as I couldn't be bothered to manually uninstall everything on my phone.

I flashed the MoDaCo r5 rom (the most recent on, based on the 2.1 GSM build). I then went into the recovery menu. created the ext2 partition and upgraded it to an ext3 partiton, as per the instructions.

I've installed a load of applications, I see the phone memory has gone down to a fraction over 40mb remaining. So, I reboot the phone (as I'm aware that the apps transfer over to the memory card during the reboot), and when I turn it back on, the internal memory remains at a fraction over 40mb.

Have I missed something?

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

From your description it should have worked. I know first-hand that creating the EXT partition on an existing ROM allowed apps to transfer automatically on reboot, albeit a long time ago with one of the early 1.5-based MCR builds.

Partitioning from recovery will have created the partitions in the correct order, so that can't be an issue. Try rebooting into recovery, wiping the dalvik-cache and then rebooting normally.

If you have the SDK installed on your PC, connect the handset and in a command prompt window type "adb shell df -h". The result returned should contain a line similar to
    "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 915.6M 50.0M 816.7M 6% /system/sd /dev/block/vold/179:1"
    if Apps2sd has enabled correctly. The all-important part is in bold.

Hordriss likes this.
  3. Hordriss

Thanks for the reply. I've typed in what you said, but I get the following message:

'adb' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I do have the SDK installed. Can't remember why I installed it now (possibly for making the gold card), but it's there. In my computer, the filepath for it is C:\android\android-sdk-windows.

Is there something else I need to type in before I type in the command? Sorry for being a bit thick, but command prompt is not my strong area when it comes to computers!

Also, what USB mode should I have my phone set to? Charge only, disk drive or HTC sync?

4. Hordriss

I've just wiped the dalvik cache as you suggested, but very little has changed. My internal memory remaining has gone up slightly to just over 43MB, but I expected to have at least double that if apps2sd was working.

5. Slug

You have to execute the command from the folder it resides in. You'll have to "cd \" then "cd android\android-sdk-windows" before running the command.

Just leave it on "charge only".

Hordriss likes this.
  6. Hordriss

This is what I got:

[​IMG]

7. Slug

No /system/sd = no apps2SD :(

From reading the MCR 2.1 thread over at MoDaCo it seems the apps2SD implementation has been borked in the stock (non-kitchen) builds since release, which is disappointing to say the least. Fortunately a solution can be found in this thread at XDA. It's confirmed to work on MCR 2.1.

Hordriss likes this.
  8. Hordriss

I take it borked means either cocked up or excluded!

It seems a bit complicated, so I think I may just.ditch MoDaCo. Can you recommend another ROM which works well and has apps2sd working?

9. Slug

Borked = broken.

Adding Apps2SD as per that link is no more complicated than flashing another ROM (download *.ZIP file, copy to memory card, reboot into recovery and flash *.zip from the menu) and would avoid having to wipe the handset and start from scratch.

Hordriss likes this.
  10. Hordriss

Ok, I will give that a try then.

Thank you for all your help.

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, having a seperate apps2sd.zip is a good idea. I had one for a while (when the trend was to have the half-app2sd, that still used up quite a lot of space) and never had any issues :)

Keep it on the sdcard, it might be needed for your next ROM.