• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

apps2sd on Fresh 2.0d

I know that Fresh 2.0d says it does apps to SD. I came from fresh 1.1 and all and never had apps2sd before however I would love to use it. Is it on automatically when you install 2.0d or do I need to do something for it to work? I am still using the stock SD card that came with the phone. If it is not on, how do you turn it on and is it worth turning it on?

you have to partition your SD card the correct way in order for it to be used. Please make sure you understand what the difference is between ext2 and ext3 partitions.. then understand the risks involved in using app2sd.

App2SD is a great idea...in theory.. in actual practice it can go horribly wrong. if you don't choose the correct partition type and the card is removed while powered up...or you power up with the card removed, you can brick the phone (its happened before).

Even if you do choose the correct partition type, and remove the card while powered up..or power on without the card present, the phone stops working. in most cases you can simply replace the card and reboot the phone to correct it.

But what happens IF your SD card fails? You have a basically useless phone at that point. If you transfer any system apps or system cache to the SD card and it gets removed or the card fails. you brick the phone.

once you fully understand ext2 and ext3 partitions and how to partition the SD card properly, and understand the risks involved in app2sd.. go for it..

Upvote 0
there's so much about app2sd that people don't think about... most people only think about how they can store a ton of apps if they put everything on that 8gb class 6 SD card they just bought... they don't think about the what if's.. guess I think about them because of my job.. I have to think about what is the worst that can happen if it all blows up on me.. if the worst that cold happen is.. I just have to reboot the phone.. not that big a deal... but ending up with a useless phone... that's a big deal to me..

Upvote 0
Yeah thanks all. I will stick to keeping my phone as is and not do apps2sd. I really keep the amount of apps I have low anyways. If I get a game, I play it then delete it. Same with apps. I am buying a house right now so I have a mortgage calc and other little tools that will go away the day I move in. I am not a person that likes to see how many apps I can fit on the phone lol.

Upvote 0
the advantage is not running out of space (as fast) for more apps than you can shake a stick at. if you run out of space as it stands on your phone, it will go into a force close of the phone itself. that prevents you from making or receiving calls/voice mail or SMS/MMS. unistalling a couple apps from the phone will fix it.. but you ca't access the market to do it.. you have to go through menu>settings>applications>manage applications.

it does nothing (or very very very very little) for speed.

Upvote 0
there's so much about app2sd that people don't think about... most people only think about how they can store a ton of apps if they put everything on that 8gb class 6 SD card they just bought... they don't think about the what if's.. guess I think about them because of my job.. I have to think about what is the worst that can happen if it all blows up on me.. if the worst that cold happen is.. I just have to reboot the phone.. not that big a deal... but ending up with a useless phone... that's a big deal to me..
I think you have more than overblown this issue. I even started a thread on xda and there didnt seem to be anyone with issues. So folks just check for yourself if your interested in it, dont take my word for it. I can just report that my phone is running perfectly. Running apps2sd I had 59mb free with 90 apps. After I flashed apps2sd 2.5 I now have 144mb free. It moved the cache to the sdcard.

xda-developers - View Single Post - A2SD - Can someone point me to a how-to?

I just flashed that zip file (in recovery) that is apps2sd version 2.5 and it automatically moved the cache, I did not have to do anything in command prompt. Running perfectly on fresh 2.0d

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say I have overblown the issue.. I just want people to stop and think about what "COULD" happen.. yes SD card fail.. does it happen all the time? no.. but it has been known to happen. moving apps to the SD is fine.. and if the card isn't dead, a reboot fixes it.. moving your Davlik-cache to the SD can result in a bricked phone if it fails..

Am I saying that no one should do it.. of course not, I just want people to know the risks and then judge for themselves. if they choose to do it and later have a failed SD card, they'll know that it was a possibility when they did it.. other wise when it happens to someone they'll bitch and scream about how no one told them that it could happen..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones