Apps2SD on Froyo - preparation

Last Updated:

1. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member This Topic's Starter

OK, so I had never partitioned the SDCard for use with Apps2SD b/c of the horror stories I had heard about people trying it.

So, now that I have FroYo, I figured, WTH, why not?

So, I just started out by powering off the DROID, and then removing the SDCard and inserting it into my AIO car reader (which happens to have a T-Flash slot for direct use - adapter not required).

I copied everything from the SDCard to my HD, then inserted it back into the DROID, powered on, then used ROM Manager to partition the SDCard, then upon reboot powered down again, and then removed the SDCard from the DROID and inserted back into my computer for copying my apps back.

I verified that the partition that my computer was seeing was, in fact, the large 14 GB partition formatted as FAT32, and started copying files back.

I ran into errors numerous times, and when I looked in one particular directory, Quake (from the Quake3 installation I have on my phone) I found massive corruption - files and folders with gibberish characters in the names, unable to delete them, regardless of what method I used. So, I decided to format that partition by hand.

I went into Computer Management, then Drive management, and selected the partition, formatted it as FAT32, disabled a quick format, removed the New Volume name, and let it do its thing.

After that I removed the SDCard from the reader, reinserted it, and started copying smaller sets of directories instead o all of them as one fell swoop - and when copying the ClockworkMod folder, I was getting sustained 6 MB/s speeds copying. This is onto a formatted, blank SDCard.

Now that I am seeing a noticeable speed improvement, on my computer, I wonder - perhaps I should fire up Linux and redo the formatting on the other 2 partitions as well....

I know this will not affect the Motorola's BUS limitation on the speed - but it sure as hell has made the SDCard a lot nicer to work with.

I'll grab a screen cap showing sustained speeds on the next large folder.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you know you dont have to partition for apps2sd in froyo right?

3. johnlgalt

It wasn't allowing me to move anything at all, and two apps that work that I have are Titanium Backup and SetCPU....

By not allowing I should say that nothing populated in the move tab.

Pics of the transfer speeds:

SDCard FT 1.PNG

SDCard FT 2.PNG

SDCard FT 3.PNG

SDCard FT 4.PNG

SDCard FT 5.PNG

4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

The app developer has to enable it. The reason you had to partition the SD Card to get Apps2SD to work like that before is because it was fooling the phone into thinking it was another onboard storage partition.

Once devs start updating for Froyo you will see more apps able to be moved to SD storage.

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I dont have a lot I can move but there are some and my sd is not partitioned.

6. johnlgalt

Those apps have it enabled, someone has already posted screenshots showing those two apps in their tab but not in mine....

7. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Well-Known Member

Why do you need to do this? I was able to move apps to the sd card with doing any sd card formatting.

8. johnlgalt

I did it because I thought it needed to be done b/c no apps were populating my move tab, whereas someone else posted a pic showing Titanium backup and SetCPU in their move tab, both of which I have installed.

hence, my reasoning was that I had not partitioned the card.

9. nstallion

Move to SD Card button:

[​IMG]

The tab you are talking about shows apps that have already been moved. You have to actually move them first for them to show up.

10. johnlgalt

Makes sense. I'll give it a shot now - but Friggin Windows is not letting me delete the main partition so I can re-partition the entire SDCard as one big partition again.

Time to dig out GParted.

BBIAB.

11. johnlgalt

Hmm - have it partitioned as one big partition again, but Windows just threw up an error saying that the formatting could not complete successfully.

12. nstallion

You could put it back in the Droid and try formatting in recovery.

13. johnlgalt

I just formatted it again and this time there was no error message.

Now to copy all my Sh..stuff back to it - but first, dinner!

14. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

I have so much wreckage on my SD card from previous apps and rom installs that i don't know what to delete:( Id like to clean it up an start over with a clean slate;)