Root Apps2sd shortens life of SD card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DDustiNN, Jul 14, 2010.

1. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I've seen this mentioned a few times now, but how significant is it really? I can't really seem to find much about it...

I'm using Apps2sd right now and I love how much extra space it gives me. I also don't notice any slowdown when running apps (at least so far). Of course I'll be getting a new phone next year when my NE2 is ready, which of course will come with a new card, so do I even need to worry about this?

Any Mythbusters out there?

Advertisement
  2. cornbreadfarts

cornbreadfarts Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    its not that significant. Dev's only post it so someone can't blame them for it messing up the card.

3. DDustiNN

Dec 10, 2009
    Ok cool, I didn't figure it was, but just wanted to double-check :D

Thanks.

4. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    ya, its pretty much a "this MIGHT happen so im going to cover my ass because some people suck and would blame me" kinda thing.

5. Morkai Almandragon

Morkai Almandragon Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    You go from reading and writing on the card every now and then, to every time you open certain apps. Id guess an increase of well over 500% usage...

So I would guess, yes, it shortens the life lol. I would also say there is a point when it becomes ridiculous to worry about that though.

6. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Macon, Ga
    I corrupted my memory card within 3 days of rooting because i loaded so many roms on it and kept flashing to try and find one i liked :eek:

7. DDustiNN

Dec 10, 2009
    :eek: Was it able to be fixed with a format, or did you really ruin it?

8. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Macon, Ga
    I was able to fix it with a format after a few tries, thank goodness, and I had just backed up all of the data on it to my computer the day before I rooted so I was able to get all my stuff back :D

Plus, I have the habit of backing up my data basically every other day to multiple drives, so it came naturally :cool:

9. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    This is because flash media does have a maximum number of times it can be written to however it is usually in the thousands.