Apps2SD w/ Froyo=Faster phone?

Last Updated:

1. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright so my general question is...Since I now have Froyo...Once more apps are updated in the market and more and more are put on the SD card...Will the increase in internal memory of the droid result in a snappier phone? For instance when I overload my homescreen with icons/widgets...sometimes when I return to the Homescreen it will be blank and take a minute to re load all the icons/widgets(especially after memory hogs like backbreaker etc)...will this be a problem of the past???

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

No. Because apps stored on internal memory are done so on the 512mb of ROM. Speed is generally related to available RAM. Apps2SD does not affect RAM. It is likely though that you were not exhausting all of your available RAM to begin with, with Android apps and processes generally being very light. Honestly, the 256mb of RAM the DROID has is sufficient. Until our platform is running intensive 3D applications, much of the "speed" issues you are experiencing have more to do with the platform and processor than available memory. Overall, Froyo will speed up everything, but that speed is not a result of Apps2SD. In all likelihood, you might experience a bit of a SLOW DOWN with apps, since the data transfer rates from an SD card compared to onboard ROM are much slower. This is why Froyo gives you the option of choosing which apps go to the SD card. Likely, you'll want to keep games and stuff on the onboard ROM, whereas apps like Keyring can go on an SD card. You'll want the fastest transfer rates (ROM) for apps that require that speed.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

on this topic...

we are seeing many apps now updating in the Market and they are just generically noting "2.2 Froyo compatible" - I wonder if this means or implies the ability to move to the SD card now updated into the Apps function and we will only see access to that area in the Apps preferences - or whatever interface if used to move apps - once 2.2 is released?

Not even sure that actually move function to move is built into the App or is there a Droid Settings area where you go to "move" an app to the SD card and any app that has that function built in would be seen in this list OR is it a setting in the apps preference to allow you to move it and you move right from the app?

4. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks Sooper!

Lock-N-Load - I am running 2.2 and I can tell you once you get an updated app that can be moved to the sdcard...it just moves itself there once updated. You can go to the manage applications menu in settings and move it back to phone if you want. I bet you some apps will have this option within the app though...but I doubt all will.