andrizoid Well-Known Member

check on xda for darktremors a2sd
    that will give you your info.

3. smokestack

smokestack Member

4. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

framework didnt even write that in?
    thats such a simple thing to do, all you need is a few extra lines in the init.rc

5. dwcasey

dwcasey Well-Known Member

Hate to drag this out off the done thread pile...but...

So I installed EE, booted to Recovery, ran partition tool ( created swap and ext2 ) then ran ext2 to ext3 convert. Copied the a2sd.zip file over and flashed.

Rebooted...so now I have to flash the EE.zip file linked above to enable this?

Does that mean from here on out, apps will go to SD or existing apps? Will I be able to move apps?

6. wernox

wernox New Member

My very, very limited experience tells me you have to have the ext3 partition on the card when you flash the rom.

So I flashed EE, couldn't figure out why a2sd wasn't there, formatted card, flashed the a2sd zip, got mad and flashed Lightning3.1 and then a2sd was working.

7. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

I couldn't get it working on EE either for some reason either. There were also a few things I didn't like about the ROM itself... such as the blue highlight color, makes it a little harder to read some text (like in the Phone app), the weird oval-looking thing that surrounds the interior of a text box when you're typing, and my menu had some weird error-looking entries when I tried to add a widget. Too many strikes for me, and that was only after a few minutes. I immediatley decided that Evil Eris just wasn't for me, haha...

After that, I tried Smash Rom and couldn't get a2sd to work either. So then I flashed White Widow 4.5 and Apps2SD worked immediatley (it's in the settings menu) without a problem. I also like the look and feel a lot better. Loving it so far. :D

8. dwcasey

dwcasey Well-Known Member

I hear ya on those exact issues. I might try WW out this afternoon for kicks. Thanks.

9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I'm running EvilEris 3.0 and have A2sd working. I had to go through a couple of steps to get it running, but after that it is working great.

I had to open sdk and get to the adb shell. Once I had the # I typed in

that gave me all the instructions to get it running.

10. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

It seems to work that way on XTR as well. I just flashed Froyo V23 and it's built in under SD card settings. This is very cool. At some point I'll have to get it on the DI but I don't think it's quite ready yet. I actually think the value of the Eris is much greater now with root.

11. agtwonderbread

agtwonderbread Member

Alright, so I'm running EvilEris 3.0 and I'm having some trouble getting A2SD running. I've run the suggest command above from OfTheDamned
    Code (Text):
    1. a2sd check
    When I ran that I got

Code (Text):
    1. # a2sd check
    2. a2sd check
    3. [ ] Launching Darktremor A2SD
    4. Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 Update 3r1
    5. [ ] Mounting /system as read-write
    6. [ ] Starting A2SD in check mode
    7. [ ] Running A2SD Check Program.
    8. [ ] Searching for Mount Point...
    9. [*] Mount point /system/sd located.
    10. [ ] Checking for ext partition
    11. [X] Ext partition found, but not mounted.
    12.     Your rom may not be setup to run A2SD.
    13.     Check with your rom developer if the boot image
    14.     is programmed to run A2SD.
    15. [ ] Setting File System Ready property to 1.
    16. [ ] Remounting /system to read-only.
    I then just ran
    Code (Text):
    1. A2SD
    which returned
    Code (Text):
    1. # a2sd
    2. a2sd
    3. [ ] Launching Darktremor A2SD
    4. Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 Update 3r1
    5. [ ] Mounting /system as read-write
    6. [*] Starting A2SD (Lite Version) in  mode.
    7. [ ] Searching for Mount Point...
    8. [ ] Mount point found..no further action required.
    9. [ ] Checking for ext partition
    10. [ ] Ext partition found.
    11. [ ] Checking Ext partition...
    12. e2fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
    13. /dev/block/mmcblk0p2: recovering journal
    14. /dev/block/mmcblk0p2: clean, 19/499712 files, 87541/999234 blocks
    15. [ ] Mounting ext partitions...
    16. [ ] Searching for Data directory on ext partition.
    17. [ ] Searching for App directory on ext partition
    18. [!] App directory exists, but symbolic link do not.
    19. [!] Copying any files in /data/app
    20. [!] Remove /data/app
    21. [!] Creating Symbolic link...
    22. [!] Changing permission...
    23. [ ] Searching for App-private directory on ext partition
    24. [!] App directory exists, but symbolic link do not.
    25. [!] Copying any files in /data/app-private
    26. cp: cannot stat '/data/app-private/*': No such file or directory
    27. [!] Remove /data/app-private
    28. [!] Creating Symbolic link...
    29. [!] Changing permission...
    30. [ ] Removing ODEX files from /system/sd/app
    31. [ ] Removing ODEX fles from /system/sd/app-private
    32. rm: cannot remove '/system/sd/app-private/*.odex': No such file or directory
    33. [*] A2SD active.
    34. [ ] Remounting /system to read-only.
    35. [ ] Setting File System Ready property to 1.
    36. [ ] Searching for Swap Partition
    37. [!] Swap Partition Found...Turning on swap.
    38. Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 32201728 bytes
    39. UUID=e16640bc-e875-4ebf-bbfe-7cc97ad9f78c
    40. #
    From what I'm reading it seems like everything is ok but I'm still not seeing anything about installing apps to SD in my settings. Am I doing something wrong. OfTheDamned was there anything else that you had to do to get it running? I'm really liking EvilEris I just need more space for apps! I'm also having a problem where everything on my phone works fine until I run the above commands. Once I've run the commands my phone won't boot past the black screen after the Androids. I know it can take awhile for it to populate the applications but it's currently been sitting at the black screen for about 10 minutes now :confused:

12. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

This is the same result I am having so far.

Kind an uncomfortable feeling, just waaaaiting. No sign that it's doing anything at all of course. This is one of those times when one realizes how handy the computer "busy/working" notification lights are.

13. agtwonderbread

agtwonderbread Member

Unfortunately it never got past the black screen. I let it sit there for a good 20 minutes and nothing. After a battery pull and reboot it just goes to the black screen again. Thank god for nand backups. Any help would be much appreciated.

14. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

so I ran adb check and under apps and private apps alike I'm getting unchecked boxes for linked to sd card, .noa2sd not found, and programs run from sd card.

Can't seem to find the commands needed to fix this so apps2sd works.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

15. pjwren13

pjwren13 Well-Known Member

From the Way My comand ran it seems everything is working but I can't find it anywhere in the setting that says its there

16. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

That's about where I'm at now. Ran a2sd says apps and private apps are running from sd but not linked, and I've only got 50mb free. Something doesn't seem right.

17. agtwonderbread

agtwonderbread Member

From what I've read it seems that it's a problem with EvilEris 3.0. I've have had success with other roms. Even using the stock 8gb SanDisk card. Games are definitely slow to start up and glitch a little bit but regular apps like Shazam, Boxee Remote, Gowalla, IMDb, etc all work fine.

[​IMG]

18. gpa111

gpa111 Well-Known Member

I have a question about this.

I formatted my card for apps2sd in Amon's recovery but I do not remember converting from ext2 to ext3 but everything works fine. Am I ok? Will it not work with ext2 or will it be slower etc?

Is there anyway to check which ext type it is?

19. agtwonderbread

agtwonderbread Member

I'm not 100% on the format types but I do know an easy way to check if it's working is to watch your internal memory storage (Settings - SD Card & Phone Storage). You should see a section for "SD Card Secondary" and "Internal Phone Storage". When you install an app and you have A2SD turned on you should obviously see the "SD Card Secondary" space go down and the "Internal Phone Storage" stay the same. I did notice that just browsing the Market stores some cache that may throw your numbers off so use Cache Cleaner before checking space and after installing an app to get correct number.

One thing I was wondering myself is since I have a checkbox can I uncheck it, install something, and it'll go to the internal storage instead of the SD card then just recheck to have later installs go to the SD? The reason I'm asking is as I said above, apps run fine but games are a little slow so I'd like to have games on internal memory and regular apps on the SD. Any thoughts or anyone know if this is correct?

20. gpa111

gpa111 Well-Known Member

I figured this out, go to applications manager and hit Move, it will switch it to the internal. I did this for Launcher Pro and it sped everything up.

agtwonderbread likes this.
  21. agtwonderbread

agtwonderbread Member

Good find! It was driving me nuts how slow and jerky Paper Toss was acting, was throwing my whole game off. :D

22. Atamagaokashii

Atamagaokashii Member

From what I understand, the benefits of a2sd in any form are only noticeable once you make the jump to a class 4 or higher sd card.

23. pjwren13

Can somebody tell me if on Evil Eris 3.0 when you have a2sd installed and everthing is working should you have a new check box in application settings like above or not. Everthing I can tell says that it is working on mine but there is no check box in my application settings menu. Very frustrating at this point. I like EE 3.0 but may have to try a new ROM to get this working properly.

24. sims0018

sims0018 Member

I've rooted evil eris 3.0 and have been trying to get a2sd working. Whenever I set the dalvik cache to be on my sd card everything compleltely crashes. What am I doing wrong? If I don't switch the cache location, whenever I install an app, my internal memory still goes down.

25. pjwren13

I opened SDK setup.exe, once the program is up and running I click start, click run, type cmd then click ok.
    Then in the box I type "cd C:\Documents and Settings\Phillip\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools" then hit enter.
    Next type "adb shell" and hit enter. You should see a # symbol meaning you are rooted.
    Then type "a2sd check". that should tell you what is working and what is not.
    Then type "a2sd help". that should tell you what commands to enter to get it up and running.

Once you can get you Dalvik cache on the SD you shouldn't have any memory problems. Now with Evil Eris 3.0 you won't see any check box in settings, but you should see an increase in the phones internal memory.