Apps2SD

Last Updated:

1. yellowfrizbee

yellowfrizbee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a version of Apps2SD that will readily work for this Ally root right now? Im admittedly not sure how it works, and I know I will have to go through some more terminal/cmd work to get the SD card set up for it, but can we do this yet?

If so, help please!

Advertisement
    thenewmodel likes this.
  2. cdsmith

cdsmith Well-Known Member

Okay, so the basic process here seems to be this: partition the SD card, and add an ext3 partition alongside the apps partition, then mount the ext3 partition at /system/sd, and symlink /data/app and /data/data to /system/sd/app, etc.? And then it looks like the permissions need to be changed on all relevant symlinks and directories.

Did I miss anything? If not, I'm probably willing to give this a try tomorrow. Not sure why; I don't need the space yet. But it gives a little more meaning to what we're doing, I suppose.

3. cdsmith

cdsmith Well-Known Member

I'm officially giving up on this. I poked deeper, and determined that a lot of work needs to be done to get apps2sd working well on this phone. You might be able to get something half-baked going, but IMO it's not worth it.

What DOES work:

- You can reformat your SD card to add an ext2 partition at the end. The FAT partition is still handled properly, and you can mount and unmount the ext2 partition by hand.
    - If you set the right permissions and symlink the right things, you can move the applications to the SD card and have the phone work fine until the next reboot.

What DOES NOT work:

- vold will not handle mounting and unmounting more than one partition per device. This is a limitation that can't be fixed without modifying and recompiling vold. So you'll need to mount it by hand, for example when the phone boots. You could probably put the command into init.rc for booting, but...
    - Since vold will not handle the new partition, it will not automatically get unmounted and remounted when you remove and insert the SD card, mount the card on your computer through the USB cable, etc. Be careful: this means that you are likely to end up with the same partition mounted on both the computer and the phone card at the same time. This is a recipe for horrible, horrible disaster.

So that's where I call it quits. I think apps on the SD card is waiting for someone to get a working mount daemon for more than one partition per device. That might mean getting one of the major mods to work on this phone.

savoxis and thenewmodel like this.