• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Arabic, Cyrillic, Gujarati fonts, possibly others?

coldguy

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
My friend has a Droid, I have an Epic 4G. We were arguing last night over if Casey Kasem was dead or not (he isn't, I was right) and both ended up on the Wikipedia page for him. On that page, it has his name in Arabic; his phone displayed the name correctly, whereas my phone displayed a series of boxes. I can't read Arabic, so this doesn't actually matter, but it's ugly and it bums me out.

From some quick testing, it looks like Chinese and Japanese render ok, wheras Arabic, Cyrillic, and Gujarti fonts do not. Is there a way I can get full-on Unicode support going in the browser?

I'm also jealous that my friend's older phone apparently has no trouble with it. Is this a 2.1 vs 2.2 thing? His Droid has the Froyo update, but he hasn't rooted it or really done much at all with it otherwise. Will it just start working when the Epic gets 2.2?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones