• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Archos 101 Android Tablet

Terrigno

Jul 16, 2010
North Carolina
Just a note to some of you people. I have owned the Archos 5 tablet and it was a GREAT device. Its not cheap like these Apads and Epads you see floating around. Its extremely good quality stuff. Im really excited about this Archos 10 tablet. Looks really promising and you cant beat the price there gonna offer it for. To the people wondering, if it doesnt come with Androids marketplace, it can be installed onto the device. Its extremely hackable just like our phones. And the touch screen is gonna be capacitive on this device compared to the older Archos tablets not having this.

Im extremely excited for this device and I cant wait to get my hands on one. Anyone else agree?

I have the Archos 5 and previouse Archos versions. The one killer though is sound quality. They have the weakest output and range from 3.5mm than any device I have tried. I have a 250gb version and retired it to just movies, since the audio is weak. Has something to do with euro dB laws. The problem is Archos does not manage the audio gain correctly to compensate for the cap.

Audio fans should stay way far away from these devices. If you just want it for video and web, good device.

BTW, ALL Archos devices have this self-imposed problem.

The Gmini 402 was the last great sounding Archos device (I have that too). Cowan level great, in fact. Archos 5 is my last ever purchase from them- due to the audio.

Upvote 0
I'm hungry for the Archos 101, but my main concerns are:

1. Getting Android Market or
2. Getting apps that work on it.
3. Battery Life

I've tried to use some apps using the LiveAndroid release for x86 computers but nothing seems to work on that. Of course I don't expect that to be very telling of what apps work, but I've read other users having troubl getting apps they want working on tablets like the ZT-180 and then, even my wifes LG phone cant even get apps from the frickin official app website for her phone! So I guess my confidence in such new technology "just working" is somewhat low.

That said, the device has a lot going for it in my books. 10 inch, capacitive, Android 2.2 (i think), Cortext A8 CPU.

Still havent read anything about how much RAM but.

Upvote 0
I've had three Archos' and can say their support of a product is very limited. The one worry I have with these products is Google's announcement that Android wasn't meant for devices of this size - Chrome OS will be the Google OS of choice for tablets (especially 10 inchers).

If Google takes a hard stance on this once Google Chrome OS arrives on previous products (like pulling by the market on these devices), I'd be willing to bet that give Archos' track record you'd have to buy a new device rather than pay a fee-to-Chrome upgrade.

Their support of current devices is poor and non-existant when it comes to recently discontinued devices (like the Archos 7 IMT). I need a replacement battery for my Archos 7 now and can no longer get an OEM through Archos - and it is only a year old!

Upvote 0
I've had three Archos' and can say their support of a product is very limited. The one worry I have with these products is Google's announcement that Android wasn't meant for devices of this size - Chrome OS will be the Google OS of choice for tablets (especially 10 inchers).

If Google takes a hard stance on this once Google Chrome OS arrives on previous products (like pulling by the market on these devices), I'd be willing to bet that give Archos' track record you'd have to buy a new device rather than pay a fee-to-Chrome upgrade.

Their support of current devices is poor and non-existant when it comes to recently discontinued devices (like the Archos 7 IMT). I need a replacement battery for my Archos 7 now and can no longer get an OEM through Archos - and it is only a year old!

Android is OPEN-SOURCE, google would never pull all Android tablets from the market, people love Android, Chrome is nowhere near the level of Android and chances are it never will be.

Upvote 0
Android is OPEN-SOURCE, google would never pull all Android tablets from the market, people love Android, Chrome is nowhere near the level of Android and chances are it never will be.

Google doesn't have to pull anything. Like Apple, they control their market application. Google could lock down Android simply by not licensing tablets to use the Android market. That move, in and of itself, could effectively strangle the Android tablet market.

As for Chrome OS, don't count Google out on this quite yet. Chrome OS isn't scheduled to be released till Q4. They've already indicated that it's first target market are net books. Chrome's hardware requirements fall easily in line with most current tablets. It's said to be super lightweight and built on top of Linux (just like Android). For this reason I think it reasonable to assume that Google will be releasing Chrome OS for tablets.

Everything You Need To Know About Chrome OS

Upvote 0
I went ahead and ordered one from J&R. Compared to the other devices and the price ($333 delivered with discount code), nothing touches the 101, in spite of my concern about Archos sound quality. Who knows, maybe this product is better??

Compared to the Tab, MUCH better deal. $500 less, 16gb built in, host function, more "read" friendly display size. Who is kidding who even comparing? ;)

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered an Archos 101 in early November ... the device was already delayed at that point, but it was promised before Thanksgiving. Surely a pre-order would make it to me by Christmas. I don't know who should be more ashamed, Archos or J&R ... both of them over-promised and under-delivered. I had ordered two 101s as Christmas gifts for my kids. I have an android phone and was really starting to get excited about the potential of the operating system on a reasonably priced tablet.

I've gone ahead and ordered a pair of ipads for my Kids Christmas gifts, maybe they aren't worth the additional $250 premium for the pair, but at least I know I'll be getting a quality product on time.

Good bye Archos and J&R, may you both treat the customers that stick with you better than the ones that you have failed before you could even prove your worth.

Upvote 0
I got my 101 16GB last week.

Updated the firmware.
Installed the android market hack (now have full market access)
Installed Flash (still a bit laggy until the optimized version is released by archos)
Installed LauncherPro Plus.

its fast, smooth and the battery easily lasts a day and a half under heavy use.

I can access my pc network and view/play shared files.
I can output to my monitor/tv via hdmi.
I can control the device with a Wii controller via bluetooth!

I have only found 2 apps so far that refuse to work on the 101
'extended controls' and 'mini info'

its fantastic, and definately value for money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones