Archos 101 tethering?

1. ODog2323

ODog2323 Well-Known Member

Did I read correctly somewhere that the 101 can be tethered through the USB port to a smartphone? If so, how exactly would that work??

Anyone have experience with this yet?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Woosh

Woosh Well-Known Member

Well...I have not had experience but iirc they mention tethering via bluetooth.

I have used pdanet to tether for a laptop. It connects via USB, however you do have to download some software for the computer which idk if can be compatible with this device or not.

I believe easiest way is through bluetooth.
  3. Hajile_Ibushi

Hajile_Ibushi Well-Known Member

I've tethered it using my Nokia 5800XM USB cable, and it successfully identified my carrier.

I'd recommend bluetooth tho, less cables to carry.
  4. ODog2323

Do you have charges tacked on by your carrier for this?

Basically I would just use a USB cable or bluetooth to tether my EVO. I know there's an extra monthly charge for WIFI hotspot service, but I'm not sure about this kind of tethering...
  5. Hajile_Ibushi

Hajile_Ibushi Well-Known Member

Internet is a bit different in the philippines compared to the US. Normally, you buy a phone in the open market, and then just buy the sim card from a carrier to put in it. Carrier locked phones are rather rare.

I was very much surprised when i first started browsing mobile forums and found out carriers disable phone features. That kinda defeats the purpose of buying a high end phone doesn't it?
  6. ODog2323

Heh welcome to America, where there's money to be made :)
  7. SilverTT

SilverTT New Member

Any updates on tethering? I have successfully tethered my BB Torch to my laptop and I'm hoping this will also be possible with the Archos 101 when I ever get my hands on one.
  8. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

9. robmeik

robmeik New Member

Could you let us know the steps you went through to tether your Nokia 5800 to your Archos 101? I have a Nokia N900 and E72 and am having problems with tethering them to use GRPS on my Archos 101, when wifi is not available...
    Looking forward to hearing the steps you took to get it all working!
  10. soorazzzz

soorazzzz New Member

I t.ethered my archos 101 to my samsung galaxy ace . For a technophobe like me i found it pretty easy. Do it through bluetooth,
    Patrick56 likes this.
  11. Patrick56

Patrick56 New Member

I got Archos 101 tablet 16gb and I what to connect with my HTC wildfire mobile phone with internet. How can I use the tablet to send e-mails ?
    Thanks
    patrick
  12. RossTiger

RossTiger Active Member

Easiest way I found was to make my phone a wifi hotspot and connect to that from the Archos
  13. soorazzzz

soorazzzz New Member

I have tethered my 101 to my Samsung Galaxy Ace. I can also tether to my laptop. On the phone go to Settings, Wireless and Networks, Tethering and portable Hotspots, then Mobile AP. It then acts as aportable hotspot and will then show up on your Archos the same way as your home wireless network. Good luck.
  14. Knocks

Knocks Active Member

It worked fine with a plain BlackBerry cable for me, connected to a MacBook Pro.