Archos 43 Internet TabletGeneral

1. Railroadmaster

Railroadmaster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have wanted a device with much of the over powered specs of the newer Android phones and device that is good a personal media player, something that I could use to avoid cellphone contracts at a low cost, has kickstand, and has Adobe Flash. It provides almost all of that a price from 200-250 dollars. Sources here http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_43it/index.html?country=us〈=en and here Closer look at the Archos 43 Android tablet
    Specs
    Operating System: Android 2.2 with Archos software enhancements
    Processor: 1ghz Arm Cortex A8
    Ram: 256mb
    Storage: 8gb or 16gb with microsd expansion
    Connectivity: Wifi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, Usb 2.0, Mini HDMI, and Usb host
    Screen: 4.3 inch 854x480 resistive touchscreen
    Camera: 2mp with no flash and video recording at 720p HD 30fps
    What I like
    Price
    Connectivity
    Screen (I prefer resitive touchscreens )
    Kickstand
    Adobe Flash 10.1
    Design
    HD Camcorder
    What I don't like
    The amount of ram
    The camera is only 2mp and there is no flash
    I can't buy one yet :)
    What do you guys think. I think this will be good for people who don't want pay a lot of money for cellular service or for the devices themselves.

Advertisement
    :
  2. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

I think using android on a resistive touch screen would be very frustrating.
  3. Railroadmaster

4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Well that gives me hope for all these resistive screen Tablets I been seeing. If resistive is better than 5 years ago, I might get one with a screen like that.
  5. Railroadmaster

Well after seeing some videos the screen seems to have no issues with responsiveness. you really only the pinch-to-zoom feature even then I like the (+) and (-) to zoom better. Of course somebody could always just create a hack like they did here
    YouTube - Pinch to zoom on ANY WINMO DEVICE in Opera 9.5/9.7 (later more apps added!)
    YouTube - Pinch to zoom on any WinMo device (update 2)
  6. Railroadmaster

7. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

I'll definitely test this out at Best buy before I go into buying one since I'm weary of the screen being resistive.

I was going to buy an archos 5: same amount of ram, but android 1.5 and not as good of a dev community that I'd be able to rely on for 2.2.
    but this would be great.
    I'm not expecting camera use since I'm only looking for a device to replace my Ipod (Why the hell did I buy an apple product?) and the rest of the archos android devices don't have more than 8 gigs.

I'll hang on to check this out
  8. Catfish

Catfish Well-Known Member

sorry for ressurecting but has anyone here bought an archos 43?

i'm interested in it for my daughter and mainly want to be able to play and create videos and photos on it. also i assume you can get market on it with the Gen8 hack?
  9. anthonygobot

anthonygobot Well-Known Member

That is a pretty sweet PMP, I wish cell phone companies would stick to making phones and let the companies like Archos make PMP's.
  10. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Gonna disagree, I love having a pocket sized PMP, camera and phone all in one device. But then, I rarely use my Droid as a PMP. Who wants to watch anything worthwhile on such a small screen? However, basically having a multifunction device in my pocket is VERY handy.

I would rather have at least a 7" device to consume media on, particularly video, if I were not able to watch it on my 46" LCD at home.
  11. AndroidTabletFan

AndroidTabletFan Well-Known Member

For me the Archos 43 seemed a bit small while the size of the 5IT was just right. I ended up with a Dell Streak which is a bit larger than the 5IT and have hit my sweet spot for tablet size. Plus, this thing is fast! It loads web pages a lot faster than my N1. ;}
  12. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

With a 4" phone and having the A70, I would have to go with a 5" as a standalone PMP at this point. The 70 is almost too big to be a daily carrier. In the future I think you'll see the 5" come closer to the 4-4.3" footprint as bezels shrink.
  13. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Having owned an evo and owning an epic, I'd disagree. And the 70 is a beast in the pocket. It is not a daily carrier unless it's in a bag. I'm actually returning my 70 because it wasn't enough of a difference over my Epic, it's superior screen and built in keyboard. That and it ejected my 16gb card somewhere, never to be found.
  14. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

I'm curious as to what is going on with the Archos 43 as well. I was hoping to use this for my daughter as an alternative to a requested iPod Touch. But despite the fact that it was not released all that long ago, it seems to be out of stock everywhere (even the Archos site has it now listed as "notify me when available", and CDW even lists it as "discontinued"
  15. Catfish

Catfish Well-Known Member

most of archos' gen8 products are not available. this is really getting to me now, since i am willing ot start throwing money at them uncontrollably.

does the 43 seem a little overpriced being only 8gb capacity and priced at $249 USD? You can get a 70 for that can't you? and the 101 is only 50 bucks more?

or is it just me?

i am now looking at the 32 for my daughter since it's available, can get market and is $100 less. my only question now is are the user interfaces on the smaller gen8 products as good as the 70 and the 101? are they the same or are they a cut down interface? Can you browse the net, email, instant msg etc on them without having to scroll around the page? May be wishful thinking.
  16. Hajile_Ibushi

Hajile_Ibushi Well-Known Member

The A43 is a smaller version of the A70. Same resolution, same processor, same codecs.
  17. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

Though I know with the difference in sizes and making the comparison to price has become popular as people like to bash the Samsung Tab as "too expensive for the size" the reality is that size alone has little to do with the price. Smaller components still cost, and sometimes cost more.

I am looking for the 43 because it is basically a slightly larger version of the iPod Touch, good for my daughter to carry around and play games on, and for that, the tablet while bigger is too big for that purpose.

And no, when you consider the Touch is similarly priced, I don't think that the price is too high for the 43 in the mid $200 range (though the resistive screen at that price gives me a pause).

In short, size matters, but sometimes in reverse.
  18. johnnysanderstvtech

johnnysanderstvtech Well-Known Member

i have 2 correct u its 245 for 16gb
  19. 2NorthPro

2NorthPro New Member

I used to be exactly like this when I was still looking for it, but now that I have one all I can say is "You must get one!" Do not hesitate, it is an amazing little device.