Are all car chargers created equal?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the recommended car charger from Sprint and it sucks. When plugged in, my phone drains almost as fast as if it wasn't plugged in at all.

I have read that some chargers are much more powerful than others. What should I look for? Any suggestions?

Also, I have this transformer thing that plugs into my lighter and has a regular AC plug outlet. Couldn't I just plug my home charger into that in the car and get as good a charge as at home?

Advertisement
  2. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

I think perhaps the internal fuse for the car chargers is only .5 amp. The OEM house charger is 1 amp (says so on the adapter).

If you can get a car charger with 1 amp fuse, you should be golden. This is just my assumption though

3. crashrandall

crashrandall Member

If you have a power inverter already, yes of course you can plug the home charger into it. Some inverters also have USB power outputs, which you could also use.

I bought a Griffin PowerJolt car-to-USB power adapter from Amazon for about $12, and a micro-USB cable for $2, and have been very pleased with both. (I actually bought 5 of those cables, so I could leave one in the car, have one to charge from PC at my desk at work, one to keep with my laptop bag, and one to charge from a USB adapter I already had in my living room - thus allowing me to leave the original charger plugged in at my bedside, where I keep the thing at night as my alarm clock.)

4. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I guess the important part is the amperage? 1 amp is the recommended dosage for an EVO? If you went higher would you risk burning it out or would it just charge faster?

5. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

although the Belkin USB car charger I got said it was capapble of 1A charging, it only charged at 500MA. I had to pop it up and solder to get it to 1A. A lot of people recommend this one Motorola charger

6. Ironbutt1345

Ironbutt1345 Member

I bought a car charger at the "Impulse Buy" section by the cash registers at Wal Mart for $4.97, works great. Don't use it a lot, but it's good for a back up to keep in the car, I forget the brand, but is has a dual plug for a mini and a micro USB connection.

7. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

monoprice.com

Get a car charger (says it's rated for 1A) that "outputs" a USB port for ~$2. Get a USB micro-B cable from there for another $2. I just bought 2, one for me, one for the girlfriend. There is no fuse in it.

The factory charger says it outputs 1A at 5V, so you should be good to go. Considering the typical computer USB port can only pour out 500mA (.5A) I don't think you have anything to worry about in getting a generic charger (wall or car). Hell, HTC's charger is probably as generic as they come.