Are all micro USB cables not created equally?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. 2ndgearx

2ndgearx Member This Topic's Starter

I found a micro USB cable laying around the house from a previous phone and decided to take it to work for charging the evo. Well, I can transfer files to and from the phone perfectly fine, but it doesn't seem to charge it. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Advertisement
  2. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

I have several different micro USB cables from different sources and haven't had a problem with any of them. The one that came with the phone is at home and probably used the least. I use the one from my T800W as well as retractable ones from ebay. They all seem to perform the same.

Maybe the one you found is non-standard.

3. sEA

sEA Active Member

I had a wall charger from my Plantronics bluetooth headset and tried to use it with my Evo. No luck. The orange charging light would come on for few seconds and then go out. I would unplug it, plug it back in, and the same thing would happen. I'm now leery of buying data cables or chargers from ebay. I just don't know which ones will work and which won't.

4. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with several micro usb cables I bought on ebay. Some charge, some don't. Interestingly enough, they all worked just fine before I upgraded to froyo.

5. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

I'm using the cable that came with my Motorola bluetooth stereo headphones. I left the HTC one in my bedroom and use this one on my computer. It works fine for me.

I also have a generic one I bought off newegg for my car and it's working fine as well. Yes it's a regular usb cable. I have an adapter for that in my car.

6. tromba

tromba Member

At Best Buy, they have a cable marked "charge only" and was told by a sales rep that someone bought it and tried to sync with it and it wouldn't work so they returned it. Seems it was indeed "charge only"

Or at least that was the story....

7. gmanvbva

gmanvbva Active Member

The amperage was likely too low. Most BT headsets only have ~.2A chargers.

8. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

wow. not only are best buy cables overpriced, you cant sync with them?!?

9. oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat Well-Known Member

I am new to the Droid but a cable is a cable is a cable. Get them from monoprice.

10. pb pedis

pb pedis Active Member

Well, I bought THREE of these for $6.94 SHIPPED:

For only $1.16 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type

The cables are much thicker/sturdier/well constructed than even the cable HTC included with the phone! I am so satisfied. My only regret is that I waited this long in my life to buy cables from monoprice. Never again will I buy any cables of any kind from anyone else.