Are all Milestones created equal?Support

Last Updated:

1. music4apes

music4apes New Member This Topic's Starter

I've been looking into buying a Milestone (a.k.a Droid) for emailing, general web browsing, listening to podcasts and for a thin camera for quick snaps.

I have no idea if the Milestones are the same all over the world (like iPods and PSPs are) or there are slight differences between each region.

My concern is that as Londoner living in China will I be able to switch the OS to the UK version?

Also, I think that China has a different 3G network, so will there be hardware differences so when I travel back home for Christmas or will the phone become defunct once I go home?

I've only ever seen the Milestone on internet video sites, I have no idea of it's feel and quality. Is it a very solid and durable phone? any wiggle room with the physical hardware? Does the sliding mechanism wobble? Any known issues with the machine?

If/when I do get a Milestone what would be the first things to do to check that it's running fine and that no problems exist with the phone itself?

I'm really quite confused, any pointers would be great.

Advertisement
  2. WirelessGuy

WirelessGuy Well-Known Member

There is 2 different Milestones available:

FCC ID: IHDP56KC5
    = Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and Tri-Band 3G (850/1900/2100) North/South American frequencies

FCC ID: IHDP56KC2 = Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and Dual-Band 3G (900/2100) European/Asia frequencies

music4apes likes this.
  3. music4apes

music4apes New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks WirelessGuy, that's cleared up a few of my concerns :) . I guess I'll have to make sure I get the European and Asian frequencies.

A quick check on Expansys Hong Kong shows they have a "UK" version, so I'm guessing it's the same thing.

4. tekniqs

tekniqs Active Member

hey i bought a Hong Kong milestone a few days ago since i was there on vacation. I'll be bringing it back with me to the US. I don't care much for 3g so no problems there.

i'm a total noob at this android thing, so my question is, is the HK milestone rootable as well? and will i be able to use google nav when i'm in the US?

thanks ahead of time