• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are all these nonreplaceable battery phones just throw away phones?

You can fit more battery in the same size device if you don't make it user-removable. It is easier to make an ingress-protected device as well, and one that feels "solid".

So it's not that they don't want you to change the battery (despite conspiracy theories), it's that they think that overall they will sell more devices that way. Basically there are more people who care about thinness or "quality feel" than there are who regard a removable battery as a deal breaker.
Say what you will, but the way I see it now, it's more about ensuring we're all renting these phones at four figures a pop.

Three hour battery life to ensure we're never beyond arm's length from a wall socket, and battery packs designed to be burned up by these phones so they refuse to charge at all.

That's been the reality for me since having this mxpe.:(

Upvote 0
I'm certainly not planning to throw out my N5 when the battery gives up. Replacing the 'non-removable' battery isn't that difficult on this phone.

I had the same plan, then the wifi chip (I assume) in my N5 died, causing battery drain, random lockups and reboots. Everything else works, and I did keep it, but 2 days ago I picked up the ZMax as a holdover till I find a cheap 6P to replace my N5. Other than the screen, everything on the N5 is easy to replace.

Fortunately, if my old man upgrades phones I'll take his N5 and be back on my favorite device again.

I find that most phones with 'non removable batteries' can be fixed easy enough, though there are always exceptions.

Upvote 0
I'm certainly not planning to throw out my N5 when the battery gives up. Replacing the 'non-removable' battery isn't that difficult on this phone.

I wish somebody would make a modified rear cover or provisions for an easily removable non-wired battery.

I still love my Nexus 5. If not for the heavy consumption and having to plug it in 4 times a day I'd use it as a daily.

Upvote 0
I wish somebody would make a modified rear cover or provisions for an easily removable non-wired battery.

I still love my Nexus 5. If not for the heavy consumption and having to plug it in 4 times a day I'd use it as a daily.

Yeah they really didn't want you getting to the guts of the phone did they? However with a bit of hairdryer coaxing on the little plastic tabs, the cover comes off without snapping anything.
But once in there, the battery comes out fairly easily. Worth changing I think to breathe new life into your phone.

Upvote 0
With a youtube video and a few special screwdrivers you can replace the battery yourself and it's fairly easy. But yes it's definitely a marketing stand point to keep batteries inaccessible so the average consumer is forced to buy a new phone when the time comes to get a new battery. You have to take into consideration these companies release new phones annually, this is really only sustainable in the long run if people keep buying the phones they put out, there's no need to buy a new phone if your old phone is still working properly.

Upvote 0
I've had my Nokia (Windows) 920 for I think six years now. When the non-replaceable battery started to get weak, I started looking and found a replacement (about $25 iirc) as well as a YouTube vid on how to change it. Had to buy a couple of little tools, but it wasn't difficult and boom, a few more years of use. Other than being windows, the specs on the phone are still competitive. As far as apps, there never were many in which I was interested, so that hasn't been a deal-stopper.
The micro USB connector is getting a little weak, so at some point I won't be able to charge it other than with the Q, but that still won't be enough to dump it.
I try to take pretty good care of my phones. :)
Being Windows is the biggest negative point for your phone nowadays [emoji6]

Upvote 0
Windows phones are not available to me. Microsoft did try, and failed here. But then Blackberry did as well.

I still hold Blackberry near and dear. Despite obvious futility in keeping BBOS 10+ going, I'm still waiting and hoping it does anyway. I really don't like where Android is heading. Good Android handsets are missing the useful features that seems were on the bad ones. I just can't be fully happy with any Android I buy, and it looks like the window of fine-tuning we once were able to do is closing quickly with Nougat or Oreo creamsicle, or whatever 8 or 7.X will become. They're always lacking something.

I still have/periodically use my BB Z10 and Q10, both of which can run side loaded apk's, as long as they don't need Play services. But hope is fading.. Started with the unveiling of the PRIV. Yup. Glad they finally decided to save themselves going with Android instead of completely going down the toilet with qnx.

They could have done so much better. At least OS10 gave us ability to enjoy something other than Android but still run the Android apps that BBWorld will never have. It's worse than the Windows store FFS. Oh well. Production is on its way to India, and I'm sure they're working with Google on the next OS. Just gonna be another Android in a few months.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I still hold Blackberry near and dear.

Oh I don't! A Blackberry was the standard device at a company I used to work for in the UK, and very much everyone including me hated the things. At the time I had Nokia Symbian phones, and the original iPhone briefly. And when I moved to China at end of 2008, could get Blackberry service but it was extremely expensive from the carriers. As an American expat found out when he lobbed his AT&T branded Blackberry Torch from a five story building rooftop in Zhuhai out of frustration. In the end I think Blackberry just gave up in this country, and pulled out.

Despite obvious futility in keeping BBOS 10+ going, I'm still waiting and hoping it does anyway. I really don't like where Android is heading. Good Android handsets are missing the useful features that seems were on the bad ones. I just can't be fully happy with any Android I buy, and it looks like the window of fine-tuning we once were able to do is closing quickly with Nougat or Oreo creamsicle, or whatever 8 or 7.X will become. They're always lacking something.

I still have/periodically use my BB Z10 and Q10, both of which can run side loaded apk's, as long as they don't need Play services. But hope is fading.. Started with the unveiling of the PRIV. Yup. Glad they finally decided to save themselves going with Android instead of completely going down the toilet with qnx.

They could have done so much better. At least OS10 gave us ability to enjoy something other than Android but still run the Android apps that BBWorld will never have. It's worse than the Windows store FFS. Oh well. Production is on its way to India, and I'm sure they're working with Google on the next OS. Just gonna be another Android in a few months.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft pulled out Windows Phone from China as well, last year when I saw the local flagship Microsoft store was just stocking Android devices, as well as the Xboxs and Surface computers.

Blackberry is now having their Android devices made for them by TCL, which also does the budget Alcatel devices.

Upvote 0
Windows phones are not available to me. Microsoft did try, and failed here. But then Blackberry did as well.
Well, technically, based on some information I saw a report about regarding the marketplace for smartphones in China, Google technically isn't available to you, either. Because the Chinese government, once they were able to start making the phones they wanted, pushed Google out, the same way they effectively pushed out Microsoft. Only Apple has a foothold with its brand recognition.

This has a lot to do with the well known double standards that the Chinese government has as a disadvantage toward any company not originating within its own borders. They'll enforce and openly harass other companies looking to produce there, but will turn a blind eye to the civil and human atrocities at their own domestic plants and factories.

The iPhone is about the only thing successful from abroad there, because of the brand recognition, and because anyone who wants one there, would rather have the genuine article, rather than a home-made copy.

Upvote 0
Well, technically, based on some information I saw a report about regarding the marketplace for smartphones in China, Google technically isn't available to you, either. Because the Chinese government, once they were able to start making the phones they wanted, pushed Google out, the same way they effectively pushed out Microsoft.

It's only Windows Phone that failed, all other Microsoft products have been successful and are still available in China, Windows for PC, Office, Bing, Xbox, etc.

Only Apple has a foothold with its brand recognition.

Erm..Samsung, HTC, LG, Moto, etc. all have a significant presence and brand recognition, all running Android. And Nokia used to have a huge presence in China, was often a favourite, until they lost it with their Windows Phone devices.

It's some Google services that are blocked. Android itself isn't blocked, far from it. Google Ads, Admob, Double Click, are all present in China as well, because that's all about $$$ to them(Alphabet Inc.).

This has a lot to do with the well known double standards that the Chinese government has as a disadvantage toward any company not originating within its own borders. They'll enforce and openly harass other companies looking to produce there, but will turn a blind eye to the civil and human atrocities at their own domestic plants and factories.

Politics & Current Affairs is over there, thank you ----->

BTW how is that new president of yours? [emoji14]

The iPhone is about the only thing successful from abroad there, because of the brand recognition, and because anyone who wants one there, would rather have the genuine article, rather than a home-made copy.

See first reply about other brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones