• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are any of us eligible to upgrade...

If your do for the full upgrade of 150 then after rebates it should come to 199. There is usually a 100 dollar rebate which the instant rebate is going away on the 23rd so you'll have to do the mail in. Can you have this phone on the Sero plan? I was just curious I have no idea.

so can someone just confirm... im about to take over my friend's sero plan that is out of contract and has $150 upgrade credit. i'm switching over from AT&T so i'm not sure how their upgrades work.

Its rumored to be $199 with 2 year contract but the price is $499. With the upgrade credit, is it going to be $350? (I'm assuming you still have to sign 2 years when you use the credit) or is there anyway to get the $199 price? Thanks!

Upvote 0
So I am thinking about something here...

I have a 4 line family plan. The primary line is eligible for the Premiere Gold yearly upgrade. The other 3 are only eligible for $75.

I am thinking about taking the upgrade on the primary line, and paying full retail for the other 3.

Something else occurred to me though.

What if I have my wife open another account in her name. She would sign up for a 3 line family plan, and get 3 Evo 3Ds all on contract at the new customer price.

Later that day, she would cancel that account. We would pay the 3 ETF fees, and then activate the new Evo 3Ds on our current plan.

Why wouldn't I (or anyone else) want to do this? If the rumored pricing is correct, and it costs $550 for a full retail device, that is $350 more than the on contract price. But the ETF is only $200. So at $150 savings per device, I am looking at saving $450 if we do this.

Is there some kind of restriction or something that prevents you from cancelling on the same day you set up a new account? Would this be better to do it at Radio Shack, Best Buy, or a Sprint store?

Upvote 0

I have a 4 line family plan. The primary line is eligible for the Premiere Gold yearly upgrade. The other 3 are only eligible for $75.

I am thinking about taking the upgrade on the primary line, and paying full retail for the other 3.

What if I have my wife open another account in her name. She would sign up for a 3 line family plan, and get 3 Evo 3Ds all on contract at the new customer price.

Later that day, she would cancel that account. We would pay the 3 ETF fees, and then activate the new Evo 3Ds on our current plan.

Why wouldn't I (or anyone else) want to do this? If the rumored pricing is correct, and it costs $550 for a full retail device, that is $350 more than the on contract price. But the ETF is only $200. So at $150 savings per device, I am looking at saving $450 if we do this.

Is there some kind of restriction or something that prevents you from cancelling on the same day you set up a new account? Would this be better to do it at Radio Shack, Best Buy, or a Sprint store?

Wow, 4 Evo 3Ds.... I wish you were my dad :p

Upvote 0

Well, one eventual outcome will be Sprint developing a second ETF tier of $350 like Verizon has now...

Upvote 0
I called customer service to ask about the upgrade today since i'm only premiere silver and eligible for the $75. Lady i spoke with said if i order online or on the phone before june 30th i will get the full upgrade, i guess ill order it online the 21st and see if that is true.
That is kind of what they told me, but if you talk to another rep, chances are they will request for you to have a full upgrade regardless of where you buy it

Upvote 0
Last month I'd checked my upgrade status, via the SMS Sprint service. It showed that I was available for an upgrade on 5/1/2011. $150 for 2 years. I had upgraded the previous year as well with the same deal. 2008 was my 10 year anniversary with Sprint so they were treating me special.

So I went to Radio Shack the first day of pre-orders. The manager verified my upgrade status, confirmed the $150 with a 2 year extension and placed my pre-order for me. The phone is releasing on June 24th and I will be flying home for 3 weeks on the 23rd, so I asked my father to stop by Radio Shack and place a second pre-order for me down there. I'll have 2 $50 gift cards, no biggie. Well, he calls me from Radio Shack and tells me that I am NOT eligible for the upgrade. The system is telling the manager there that I'm not eligible until 5/1/2012! He can't pre-order for me because I would only be able to get the $75 off deal, which they don't do. It has to be the full $150 upgrade. I hit the SMS Sprint upgrade service and it is now saying 3/1/2012. I assume the 60 day difference is because a bit of leeway.

13 damned years I've been with them and they pull this crap! What is going on? Charging my phone, haven't called yet, this just sickens me.:mad:

Upvote 0
So I went to Radio Shack [...] confirmed the $150 with a 2 year extension and placed my pre-order for me.

I asked my father to stop by Radio Shack and place a second pre-order
The system is telling the manager there that I'm not eligible until 5/1/2012!
Wait -- are you trying to get an upgrade on a second line, then? Even with Premier Gold, you only get a 1-year upgrade on the main line; other lines are still 2 years. (They can switch the upgrade to another line, but for some incomprehensible reason that takes two months.)

If you're trying to do a 1-yr upgrade on a second line, you might try calling this Sprint number: (877) 775-4886 and ask if they can do a "manual override" to give you an early upgrade on that line. (See this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/337382-any-us-eligible-upgrade-2.html). I gave them an only-moderately-good reason, and they moved my upgrade forward by several months.

Upvote 0
It is saying $75 on 5/1/2011 and $150 on 5/1/2012. Why would it have changed since last month?

I think the questions are: You only have one line? Why did you preorder twice? I wonder if they did something with your preorder that messed with your eligibility. Regardless I would call Sprint to find out the answer. If you have been with them for over 10 years then the mainline gets Premier Gold status no matter what you spend. If it is something like a preorder screw up then they should be able to fix that. If it is none of the above ask for an Upgrade Override as outlined in the link to another thread and they should give you the 150.00 upgrade.

Upvote 0
I think the questions are: You only have one line? Why did you preorder twice? I wonder if they did something with your preorder that messed with your eligibility. Regardless I would call Sprint to find out the answer. If you have been with them for over 10 years then the mainline gets Premier Gold status no matter what you spend. If it is something like a preorder screw up then they should be able to fix that. If it is none of the above ask for an Upgrade Override as outlined in the link to another thread and they should give you the 150.00 upgrade.

There are multiple lines. I always get the $150 after 1 year, dunno what happened this time. I'm pre-ordering twice because I am going on Vacation for 3 weeks on the 23rd. I won't be here to receive the new one. I tried calling and confused the hell out of the first rep, who after 45 minutes of having me on hold transferred me offshore to some bumbling fool that was trying to transfer me again.

Upvote 0
There are multiple lines. I always get the $150 after 1 year, dunno what happened this time.

I thought even when Premier Silver was new they only gave you the 1-yr/$150 upgrade on a single line. It's possible I'm misremembering, but either way, that's definitely how it works now: the Premier Gold only gives it to you after 1-yr on a single line, and the other lines are still on the normal $75-1yr/$150-2yr plan that all customers get.

I think your best bet would be to try that number listed above and ask (politely, of course) for the manual override on the upgrade for that other line.

Upvote 0
There are multiple lines. I always get the $150 after 1 year, dunno what happened this time. I'm pre-ordering twice because I am going on Vacation for 3 weeks on the 23rd. I won't be here to receive the new one. I tried calling and confused the hell out of the first rep, who after 45 minutes of having me on hold transferred me offshore to some bumbling fool that was trying to transfer me again.

I can see how they got confused.
1) Are you sure you have been a customer for 10 years with these exact lines?
2) Is the number you are trying to upgrade the main line?
3) Are you positive that you have Sprint Premier Gold Status? I would call and simply say "I am trying to find out if XXX-XXX-XXXX is Premier Silver or Gold?" If it is not then say that you would like to speak to someone about an Upgrade Override because when you bought the Evo you were Sprint Premier.
4) If you have done all of the above try the original Radio Shack you preordered at and see if they might have done something that is holding your upgrade with them. Does that make sense?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

why didn't you just cancel your first pre-order, then call the second store to make your new pre-order?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones