are buttons a must??

Last Updated:

1. inkandcolor

inkandcolor New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm a interactive designer working on Android projects. One question I'm having in my mind is that, Are Buttons Really A Must?

Because I see developers starting to design APPs with build-in menu button and back button on screen. They are trying avoid the hardware buttons on the cellphone and maybe eventually create new android that is more and more like iPhone--A phone with only one home button.

So someone please tell me, are menu button and back button a must in Android design? Is there some kind of mandatory from Google that hardware buttons are key features of Android?

Please let me know!!!

Advertisement
  2. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Clearly the 'Search' button isn't going anywhere. ;-)

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I liek my buttons. Like on my qwerty, the search button is very handy. And the back button is invaluable. And I like dedicated call/end buttons. One touch access to the most important part of my phone, the phone. So yes I say they are needed.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Agree, as another Moment user! :)

5. inkandcolor

inkandcolor New Member This Topic's Starter

yes, I know that these buttons are handy. But some developers are designing APPs with buttons showing on touch screen, so that users can carry out everything on screen, just like iPhone. The line between iPhone and Android is getting blurry.

So I want to know, if there is mandatory from Google, that hardware buttons must exist?

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

We're not Google so we can't tell you, but as users we're telling you they are a must.

Sometimes, especially due to slower hardware, or apps that have bugs, it's invaluable to have the hardware buttons.

7. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Ditto. Someone was complaining the other day about missing calls because of lag and not being able to swype the screen before the call went to voicemail. I thought well just use the call answer button but was amazed to find out it didn't have call answer/end buttons. I think it was the Moto Droid.

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I think this is the wrong place to ask. You need to check with OHA or other developers.

9. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Given that nearly all Android phones have at least the search and menu buttons, I imagine they're a must: the OS itself is built around those buttons.

I don't enjoy hardware buttons myself, but what the hell, my phone's buttons are capacitive.

10. Kore3000

Kore3000 New Member

Yes buttons r a must. I just wish tht the optimus s came with a call signature. I love swype I'm using it to type/swype this. Applying ringtones to txts canbe a hassle too. oh and I have big fingers so typing on the keyboard simply is a pain.so it should come with a stylus. If theres a way I can get a call signature on the optimus s let me know. Thanx

11. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think google mandates them. There are some phones that switch the buttons around, and I have even seen some models with only 3 buttons (either the menu or home was missing I believe). In any case, I sort of like them, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me to not have them. I came from an iPhone so I am used to it.