Are current S4s rootable?

1. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Is the ME7 really the last rootable build? My phone stopped charging tonight. I have to use my other s4 to charge battery.

If I get a replacement phone from verizon, will it be rootable? I have a ton of apps that only work with root and would have to find a different phone altogether if I can't root the replacement.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Android 4.3 is rootable. 4.4.2 is not. Yet.
  3. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Anyone know if replacement phones are still coming with 4.3?
  4. jjmstang

jjmstang Member

Yes you can root but it's the boot loader that is still locked.
  5. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I just received a replacement phone and it came with 4.3. I got a replacement because after updating my couple month old GS4 to 4.4.2, SMS intermittently failed and progressively got worse.

At first, it immediately downloaded the 4.4.2 update, but I factory reset and has not tried to dl it again, yet. It's only a matter of time before it tries to download again. I will then install it and if SMS starts to fail again, i will be calling Verizon to complain a second time.

Kratos
  6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

there is no way to downgrade 4.4.2 to 4.3, even with root. Like Apple, Google made the new OS upgrade one-way only.

i got mine rooted with Saferoot, it does not need a data wipe and gives you SU access, but no custom recovery/ROM and not sure if that's possible due to KNOX.
  7. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

No recovery no need to root cause it will be bricked . u need recovery you can't downgrade some Samsung s4 but if u do a unbrick with original firmware would be a downgrade . cause it came with 4.3
  8. zetodavido

zetodavido Member

Wait, on Verizon? How can I root my 4.4.2 s4? (vrufnc5). I understand about the bootloader.
  9. zetodavido

zetodavido Member

You rooted your Verizon S4 (4.4.2; vrufnc5) with SafeRoot? I was reading another forum the other day and people were saying it didn't work for them.