• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are custom roms safe- do you use your email, buy things on it?

sergey

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2009
NYC
So for those people out there who are running custom roms, do you use your primary gmail account and do all the things you normally would? Like check your bank account, pay off bills, buy things online, etc? I wonder how safe the "brand-name" custom roms are for this (like a cyanogenmod ROM) Does anybody here take precautions over stock?

custom ROMs are fine. i just be careful--if they unlock every menu in the phone and allow the user to change security-sensitive stuff like disabling the lock screen (bad for prying eyes) or save local copies of bank account info, i would be very careful how much i play around in them. usually disabling things like unknown install (locks the phone into the market, which is safer, while turning it on allows side-loading where spyware is a possibility) and USB Debugging are good ideas when not using any of the features. overall a custom ROM could just be a rooted newer copy of Android for a phone/tablet not supporting it OTA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones