General Are free apps really free?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Anducks, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Anducks

Anducks Active Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I was getting a little trigger-happy downloading free apps, and my friend told me that if you install a "free" app, you still get charged. Is that true?

Advertisement

2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Mechanical Piping Designer
    Delaware
    no, that is not true

3. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    for re-assurance no.
    though some of them have trial periods...
    but once its up it still doesnt charge u.

4. Anducks

Anducks Active Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Thanks for the answers. :)

5. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Co-Manager of SONIC Drive-In
    Texas!
    Yup. The Market isn't connected any way to Verizon like it would be on regular phones that you download $100 bucks worth of games and ring tones pop up on your bill. The Android Marker uses your Credit Card information to charge you for the apps.

So unless you type in your information every time, there isn't any way to be charged. Now if you download a Verizon app.. who knows if they have a evil secret way to charge you if you download it. I dunno. :p

6. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    find a new friend

7. Appventive

Appventive Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I really don't know what you're friend was referring to, but as the others said, free apps are free. Period.

But, also if you buy an app, all updates to it are free too. HOWEVER, for some reason, the Android Market will always say "authorizing credit card" when downloading updates, which understandably, leads many users to think they are being charged for updates. However, this is not true -- once you buy an app on the Android Market, all updates are free and you will not be charged, despite the "authorizing" message.

Best of luck,
    Steve

8. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for that info. I haven't purchased any apps yet (only free ones for me so far :cool:), but that's good to know for future reference. Kudos! :D