Are free apps really free?

1. Anducks

Anducks Active Member

I was getting a little trigger-happy downloading free apps, and my friend told me that if you install a "free" app, you still get charged. Is that true?

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

no, that is not true
  3. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

for re-assurance no.
    though some of them have trial periods...
    but once its up it still doesnt charge u.
  4. Anducks

Anducks Active Member

Thanks for the answers. :)
  5. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

Yup. The Market isn't connected any way to Verizon like it would be on regular phones that you download $100 bucks worth of games and ring tones pop up on your bill. The Android Marker uses your Credit Card information to charge you for the apps.

So unless you type in your information every time, there isn't any way to be charged. Now if you download a Verizon app.. who knows if they have a evil secret way to charge you if you download it. I dunno. :p
  6. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

find a new friend
  7. Appventive

Appventive Well-Known Member

I really don't know what you're friend was referring to, but as the others said, free apps are free. Period.

But, also if you buy an app, all updates to it are free too. HOWEVER, for some reason, the Android Market will always say "authorizing credit card" when downloading updates, which understandably, leads many users to think they are being charged for updates. However, this is not true -- once you buy an app on the Android Market, all updates are free and you will not be charged, despite the "authorizing" message.

Best of luck,
    Steve
  8. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. I haven't purchased any apps yet (only free ones for me so far :cool:), but that's good to know for future reference. Kudos! :D