Are Google Talk chat messages counted towards SMS/MMS with Verizion ?General

Last Updated:

1. Blackbelt4

Blackbelt4 Member This Topic's Starter

Ive been reading this forum for several months, and bought my Eris last month (previous Blackberry Storm owner). With my Blackberry, I was used to having Blackberry Messenger service that allowed me to message other BB owners, without using my SMS/MMS count with Verizion. Without that, I have set up Google Talk as an alternative.

Pardon me asking something here that everyone else proabably already knows, but does the Google Talk messages get counted as SMS/MMS messages by Verizon ? I do not use it except to message one of my friends from time to time, so I am fairly ignorant about the various types of 'chat' messaging systems out there.

Thanks for your help, and I am enjoying everything that this Eris can do so far. I was a bit leery at making the switch, but I can see Android systems are a good way to go.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Nope, just data. You're safe.

Welcome to the forum.

3. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

Just data. My wife has an unlimited text plan, while I don't. She does not have a smart phone, and I have the Eris. We have "texted" each other hundreds of times through Google Talk and Google Voice. I have not been charged one cent of SMS. :)

4. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

i just called verizon last night to confirm this . . . . youre good. no charges!

5. CycloneFever

CycloneFever Well-Known Member

As people have said, you can get your texts for free with GV. Just be sure that you go to your GV account on the web, go to settings, click edit for your Eris, and unclick receive SMS on this phone. Otherwise you will receive a standard text to your standard phone number (in addition to the GV text) and it will cost your through VZW.