• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are Market Results Device Specific?

When you do a search in the Android Market, does it only show items that are device compatible?

I have a rooted NT and I was troubled when I searched for some apps I have on my HTC Inspire, and no results came up. Some of the apps that are streaming-based make sense, I suppose, but others leave me scratching me head. Here's a handful of apps that don't appear in the market for my Nook...

ESPN Radio
Angry Birds HD
Google Maps
iheartradio
Digitally Imported Radio
Any Beer ABV Full
PayPal
OOKLA Speed Test

Any comments/advice greatly appreciated :D

Yes, results you see on your device will depend on the app's compatibility with your device.

Go to the Android Market in a browser (not through the market app), log in with your gmail account, and you can view ALL apps.

Here's Speed Test, for example. It will show you compatibility with your various devices.

Assuming it is a compatibility issue, there are some ways around that, but I've never really had to go down that road so I'm afraid I can't be much help directly.

But here's a thread on XDA about this, specifically on the NT.

Reactions: QR25DE
Upvote 0
Yes, results you see on your device will depend on the app's compatibility with your device.

Go to the Android Market in a browser (not through the market app), log in with your gmail account, and you can view ALL apps.

Here's Speed Test, for example. It will show you compatibility with your various devices.

Assuming it is a compatibility issue, there are some ways around that, but I've never really had to go down that road so I'm afraid I can't be much help directly.

But here's a thread on XDA about this, specifically on the NT.

Fascinating, I never knew you could access the market from the browser. Sure enough, when I tried to install OOKLA Speed Test, it recognized all the devices I have signed my gmail into - old Incredible, current Inspire, and Nook Tab - and would not allow me to select the Tab for install. Boo!

Upvote 0
I ran into this problem with MANY different apps such as "Modern Combat 3" Bejeweled and many others. So what I did was Use Root Explorer and modify the build.prop

Where it said "Nook Tablet" I just Renamed it "XOOM" saved the file and then rebooted.

Viola All my apps worked perfectly and the Google Play store let me download them. I have had no trobles at all afterwards either. If theres a Caveat to to this I havent found it yet.

I am running CM7 Alpha Final.

I think that Developers of Apps did this on Purpose because Barnes & Noble shut them out from their exclusive B&N App store. So the Developers punished the Nook by not letting the Nook use them. Because Honestley they all run just fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones