• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are Microsoft and Sony requiring you to pay to play your games?

dontpanicbobby

100% That Guy
Dec 31, 2011
Boston MA USA
I'm a Wii kind of guy myself. I don't want to play anything too hard. Bowling, Darts. Shuffleboard and stuff like that are fine with me. I've been seeing these announcements about the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony and I'd swear it looks like you have to pay to use your old games on them. I can almost understand why you would have to have a subscription to play online multi-player games. That's nothing new really but what's up with the fees for using used games? Does anyone other than Microsoft and Sony shareholders think this is a good idea? Don't both of these companies already make tons of money on each new release from game developers?

Microsoft's policy seems to be open to the publisher to decide how handle used games. So it may vary game to game whether you will be able to trade/sell/lend/gift the games you buy for the Xbox One. They have announced how games published by Microsoft Studios will work. However, it is still confusing.

As best I remember: Any game you buy must be installed, and gets registered to your account. The console needs an internet connection to check in while playing once every 24 hours on your console, or once every hour if playing on a friend's console. There is a possibility of selling a game to an "approved" retailer (I assume a chain MS would have a deal with to get a cut of the re-sale money). Otherwise, you can't sell, trade, or lend your games. There is some sort of family sharing policy where 10 family members would be able to play games in your library (1 person playing a given game at once). You can play games on a friend's console if using your account. Games can be "gifted" one time to anyone you have been friends with on xbox live for at least 30 days.

tl;dr: The Xbox One's games are nearly the single purchase, single use model used by PC games, and required DRM checks to play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones