• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

are O2 blocking TV streaming over HDPSA/3G?

CarsnGadgets

Android Expert
May 17, 2010
UK
I can access TV services on the Desire like:

m.tvcatchup.com
yamgo.mobi
and the MyPlayer app

when using wifi.

but when ever I try to use any of the above when connected by HDPSA or 3G
I get the message back that it cannot connect to server, or it just times out after minutes of trying to connect.:mad:

myplayer suggests that port 554 may be blocked by my mobile service provider.

Im on O2 in the UK with a

I'm on pay as you go T-Mobile.

I did some test with 3G/H on my desire and the following worked:

-TVcatchup works both for me on 3G and wifi
-yamgo works both on 3G/H and wifi (both LQ and HQ worked fine)
- myplayer works only on 3G bbc iplayer but no Live tv. Wifi works for bbc iplayer and live tv.

Upvote 0
I've never connected to tvcatchup on HSDPA. I thought I had on yamgo but further testing required.

I have 2 colleagues using tv catch-up on o2 iPhone so I will confirm of they can on 3g.

I stream last fm, orb live from my home network and when on blackberry I streamed various radio and slingplayer

I dont think they are blocking the services on the iPhone, I used to have one and it streamed TV fine over 3G. Also, I dont think that there is a problem with streaming radio through last FM for example, just with TV services on O2.

thanks for the info though.

Upvote 0
I think if you check o2's terms it.specifically says you can't stream tv or audio.

Its vague at best. I believe it says you cannot continuely stream audio or video. After how long does it become continuely?

However, you can on an iphone tariff and I can stream audio in many different ways. This is not the question. The question is "are they actively blocking it?"

Upvote 0
I'm convinced there not blocking it. Perhaps it depends how much data usage you've got through? Mine is fine on hsdpa or 3g. Are you using the mobile version of tvc? I know people had trouble initially because they tried the desktop version? Also I believe all the mobile command say you cannot stream data. My orange contact that I still sometimes use states clearly, 1 gig free internet, but does not include streaming services, tethering, yada yada.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones