are public wifi connections safe?

Last Updated:

1. outoffocus

outoffocus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Everyone comfortable with connecting to any open wifi connection with Android 2.1? Are there specific recommendation to make it 'safer'? Thanks. :D

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Ummm, no! Not with laptops either.....

Use them by all means, but don't enter passwords into sites (e.g. mail, facebook, banking etc), as all your information could be logged....

OK to Google for things though.

3. outoffocus

outoffocus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

>>Use them by all means, but don't enter passwords into sites (e.g. mail, facebook, banking etc), as all your information could be logged....

Thanks for that. All of my mail/social networking sites are set for 'remember password'. So when I hit gmail I don't enter a password I'm just in. Is that a problem?

4. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Okay, just lets think of the internet connection another way........

If a secured WiFi spot is like a solid concrete pipe, with internet traffic/information travelling through it. Can you see the information from the outside, **** no! To do so, a, you would need a password and b, the information travelling is encrypted WEP, PSK, etc....

In an unsecured/open WiFi spot, the pipe is still there but it is transparent. Any information (email, banking, etc) that transmits through the pipe is not secured - anybody with some knowledge, would be able to "hack" into the pipe and see your information going through the pipe.

I used to work for a major Retail organisation in the UK & they were so aware of security, they paid for a consultant to come and give a load of lectures to 300 people. Guess what one of the subjects was......

Interesting, noh?

5. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

That is STILL sending the username/password over the unsecured network, so no, you should still be weary.

If you MUST log into one of these sites, make absolutely sure that you get the padlock icon indicating that it is a secure site, and never click OK if you are prompted that the certificate is invalid or self-signed. I'm not sure if this is still a concern or not, but a lot of email sites are also vulnerable to cookie sniffing (gmail was especially easy with this), where if an attacker intercepts your personal cookie (which was sent prior to the encrypted connection), they can log into your account even without a username/password.

In any event, even with laptops and other networking equipment, always treat an insecure wifi access point as hostile, and be very careful in what you need to access.