• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are Ringtones *always* Apps?

If you go to settings - sounds - ringtone, there are options that come up. It will be different on each device depending on apps installed.
My options are android system, es file explorer, go sms pro, and zedge.
Zedge will only choose songs in zedge ringtones, android system will only choose those in ringtones, but es file explorer and go sms will choose from any directory on the device.

You only have to have songs in the ringtone folder if you want that song to show up under android system.

Duh! You are so right. You will be prompted for any app that can set ringtones, until you set the default (which is what I did and why I don't see the options).

Upvote 0
Wait a minute----the thing that comes with ICS is not settable as the default? Or is it, and it just lacks the ability to import from anywhere?

You can have multiple apps to do the same thing. You can have three launchers, five media players, two file managers, etc ... and this applies to apps that set ringtones as well ... and when you call for one of them you are prompted. For example of you have ES File, MoboPlayer and MX Player installed and you have a video file, if you try to open it, it will prompt you to select the app to use and it will list all apps that can handle that file format. There is also a checkbox at the bottom of the screen that says "set as default" and from that point on video files will be sent directly to the app you set as default.

With ringtones I chose to use the system as default since i don't mess with them much. I will never see the other options when going to select a ringtone unless I clear the defaults under applications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones