• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Are the guides outdated?

saycoda

Feb 9, 2011
Hi,

I'm on the fence about whether to root my phone or not ( I know I'll probably do it). But reading all these "guides" dating back to last summer, with 99 additional pages of the thread concerns me. I just updated to EB13 from a stock phone purchased about 3 weeks ago, using the "zip" method. I wanted to root before the 30days is up in case something went wrong. I do have experience in this area having "softmodded" other consumer products, i.e. game consoles. But I'm wondering if these guides are current and apply to the state of my phone.

Thanks in advance for hopefully pointing me to the right guide.:thinking:

What about a non one click method? I Read in a different thread that you (Kelmar) are not a big fan of one click. I was waiting for froyo to start with rooting. Yes I regret that in retrospect. I dont mind having to work a little more if its going to give me a more stable result as well as more options. Yes I need to spend some more time looking through xda as is my plan tonight. Is it worth it to find another way? where, who or what link might there be?

Upvote 0
The reason I dont like the one click is that I like knowing what is happening and why things work. The one click works fine and minimizes the risk of messing something up though!.

Are you planning on flashing a ROM? If so, you may need the other 1 click depending on which ROM.

Upvote 0
I agree with the OP. The guides are really confusing right now. Mainly I think because we are late to the game, and some of the treads on SDX are well over 100 pages. It's hard to read and comprehend all of that info in one sitting. I have read a few and I'm still pretty confused. I have the V2.5.1.0 root (with stock EB13), and I know I need to go to version 3.?? before I can add a ROM, but I'm still pretty hesitant. The thing that I don't understand if that if I do that, I will have to convert to EXT4. If I convert to EXT4, I think the stock ROM will no longer work, correct? If it no longer works, what do I do? Do I just have one of the custom ROMs on the SD card, install it? Also, I don't have a clue what Odin is.

Upvote 0
the guides need to be updated every day - not change anything every day, just whoever made the guide or a admin needs to go in and every day or couple of days whatever and put something up that says something like - this method is still the most up to date way as of - and put the date after it - also maybe change the color of the text to show when there has been any changes, like 4 colors 1 for no changes, 1 for minor changes and 1 for major changes and 1 for critical updates that must be done

something with a constantly changing date would reassure everyone that the people in charge of this stuff are keeping everything running as smooth as they can

Upvote 0
Agreed, but as stated in the guide sticky, users should let us know when the information needs changed and/or updated. Simply put, this hasn't happened (myself included) :(

With the hundreds of android devices available, it's impossible for any member of staff to follow what is/isn't the best and most up to date method of doing things.

Ultimately, it's all of our forum and we all need to make sure we are keeping the guides up to date for the devices that we own.

Upvote 0
Walking into Rooting for the first time this crap is confusing as all hell. I don't even understand the difference between Rooting vs a ROM vs EXT4 vs blah blah blah. I basically just wanted the latest version of 2.2.1 that Sprint is putting out + I want to have free Wi-Fi Tether what is the easiest way to just accomplish these two things?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones