Are Their ROM Differences in Signal Reception?

Last Updated:

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I've had this Eris since January and was surprised when I began reading in the Eris forums about various issues, ongoing bugs and problems with signal reception, etc.

Mine exhibited nothing other than solid, reliable behavior on 1.5 and again after the OTA came to our devices.

After rooting, that same reliability and concrete behavior continues, with one exception: on my now favorite ROM, XTR 2.1.1, the signal quality has dropped to near nothing, even to the point of truly nothing; zero bars and 1g rather than my usual 3g and two or three sometimes 4 bars.

Recovering to Senseable 3.1 the signal quality returns to normal.

Has anybody else seen any differences from ROM to ROM wrt signal strength?

Advertisement
  2. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

I have never seen anything quite that drastic. A few roms I have tried seemed to show more/less bars. i have never had any trouble making phone calls or using the web because of it. do you know what radio version was being used with that rom?

3. Frisco

That's a good question. I'll check that out.

Obviously I've gone through all of the usual possibilities, having to do with environment, etc.. even OC settings thinking a super overclocked CPU would not allow full recognition of a strong signal (a stretch, I know :D).

Thanks for responding. I'll poke around other forums where XTR is being talked about.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Frisco,

Check out the All Current Radios - xda-developers thread over on XDA regarding radios for an interesting read.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus that different radios actually help your signal or not (or just give you a warm and fuzzy feeling :)).

I suspect that the bars/signal displayed by the various ROMs do (or don't do) the same thing.:D

5. Frisco

I suspect that, too, as I did with pre-rooted bar display complaints around the forums.

I also suspect my topic title was hacked by somebody who doesn't know the differences between their, there and they're. :eek:

6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

I prefer the more casual "thar" :p [i.e., "thar be whales here!" -- Scotty from Star Trek, the Voyage Home]

7. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Some ROMs are based on Sprint phones and Sprint may "require" different scaling be used for their "bars" than what Verizon wants. The # of bars doesn't mean much... Go by the signal strength value (Menu, Settings, About Phone, Network).

You won't believe how sensitive the values are... My desk sits against an outside wall, with windows 18-24" above me. If I wrap my hand around my phone, i.e. block the internal antenna, I can get it up to 90+ dBm. Take my hand away, it goes to mid-70s. Raise it up to window height, I get into the 60s. All the while, the "bars" aren't changing reliably.

Frisco likes this.
  8. Frisco

Great info and reminders there, hallstevensonskiburgenhausenstein, thanks.

9. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

To expand on my earlier post, has anyone seen Apple's responses to signal-bar-issues on the iPhone 4 ? Note: This is NOT an Apple-bash.

They're claiming that the "it has erroneously calculated the formula which displays signal bars on the iPhone" and here's a good one, "their high bars were never real in the first place". At least they're not claiming 4-5 bars are real but 0-1 were not. They can't have it both ways.

10. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

The Radio Baseband in the OTA patch that was pushed earlier this week is the same baseband as currently available to sprint users 2.42.xxx So if you flash that from Amon Ra, you will have whatever VZW was wanting to push.

11. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

My signal with my favorite default rom white widow was very weak. Did a *228 the other day and its been more bars more bars! So before anyone judges this make sure you update your prl's

12. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

I've never had that big of a difference in bars as you have Frisco, I've flashed just about every available ROM for the Eris, and haven't had any big difference. Maybe reflashing may fix something.

Reflashing, while sounds basic can fix tons of stuff. Just this morning, my Eris on CELB said it wasn't registered on the network, reflashed the ROM...all fine now.