Are there ANY Android OS phones with a IR comm port? I'd love to see a list.

1. rogergrubb

rogergrubb New Member

I'm ready to make the move to Android but I need a IR comm port to load a Realtor App, freshly written for Realtors.

I'm looking for a list of Android phones that have a IR comm port.

I find nothing. Tell me it isn't so.... =-O

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

IR ports have gone the way of the dinosaur when bluetooth was invented.
  3. rogergrubb

rogergrubb New Member

It IS true... oh well...

Thanks for the response.
  4. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

Searched Gsmarena, no Android phones turned up with IR as a requirement I am afraid.
  5. IOWA

Actually I can't think of any modern phones being produced with IR. Looks like you'll have to find another way to open the keyholder =/
  6. jt12

jt12 New Member

Hi there. There is a phone that just came out recently called the Nokia N900. This phone has an infrared port. It was shown a couple of weeks ago running the android os operating system. Very interesting to me. It runs a operating system called maemo, but also can run Android OS also with a hack. Hopefully, they will have a full working integration of the android OS on this phone. This might just be what you are looking for. The android os on the Nokia N900 with infrared. Stay tuned!!!
  7. anomaly

anomaly Active Member

I know that there is an app for iPhone which, with a IR dongle with a 3.5mm jack, can send and recieve IR codes. I believe they have to be saved as WAV files?

Perhaps Android has something similar. It is possible that if you attached one of these and used a voice recorder and fired a code from a remote in to it, and then "played" back what you recorded with the dongle in the headphone jack, it would emit the recorded code.
  8. IOWA

Or maybe just find a BT of WiFi encryption lock
  9. GreerB

GreerB New Member

I miss not having an IR on my phone, my Treo had it. So when I dropped my Nexus one in the pool this weekend, it gave me an excuse to look for and new phone. I just did a search for android and IR and here is a new link. android phone with IR blaster androidadvocate.com . Vizio has their own skin/theme, but hey, just root it.