Are there any BT Voice Dial Workarounds?General

Last Updated:

1. BEARitone

BEARitone Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

My husband bought an Incredible the other day and he has had one problem that is potentially a deal breaker.

He uses his phone in the car a lot and part of that he uses a bluetooth headset. When playing with the phone he found he could not simply press the button on his jawbone to bring up voice dial(which I mean, we could do on motorola flip phones many many years ago)

Even if he puts a shortcut the the "voice dial" application he needs to unlock the phone by pressing the top button, slide the unlock screen, press the app, then say his command.... if that were not enough there is no repeat back to the headset, you must manually confirm the selection.

I don't know about you but to me that seems to defeat the purpose of voice dialing, which is meant to keep your hands free and eyes on the road.

I have seen gesture search recommended but that would not be ideal to use while on the freeway.

Are there any workarounds to make this work properly? I was wondering if on other phones the root community has developed their own solution to the problem on other phones as well, that might give him a little hope for when the incredible gets rooted.

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. viperboy

viperboy Well-Known Member

So many threads on this. It is an issue with the Android OS, it doesn't natively support this. There is an app in the Market called Voice Dial HF that you can use to do BT voice dial, however, you still cannot initiate it from the headset. What you can do is download Button Shortcut and reassign the long-press of the search key to be Voice Dial HF. That's the best solution I've seen.

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

+1 on Voice Dialer HF. It works flawlessly on my Moto Droid and is the closest thing to real hands-free dialing. It is probably the best app I have on my phone and was so worth the $4.

4. mrlogs2

mrlogs2 New Member

FYI..My Incredible does Voice Dialing thru my 2009 Saturn Aura's sound system...:)

5. BEARitone

BEARitone Member This Topic's Starter

I looked into that application. Am I correct to assume if he were to use that he would still need to use the button on the top of the phone and a swipe to unlock it, if it weren't on a charger and set to "do not sleep while charging"?

Is there any way to make a shortcut to unlock the phone with the trackball button or something? Using the top button while in the car is rather awkward.

I realize there are other topics on it, however I was also interested in solutions if/when the incredible is rooted, which I found no information on and I did not want to bump an old topic.