• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are these devices really useful?

wide awake

Feb 23, 2011
I have been an Android user since the beginning. I had a G1, Nexus S, Desire Hd, and currently have a XOOM and Sensation 4g, but I am starting to wonder what the point of them really is. Until a few weeks ago I had my work email and calender routed through my gmail, but was recently told that I was no longer aloud to do so (security issues?). There seems to be no way to route my exchange mail through my device without POPing it so now the messages are left on the server marked as read every time my device checks my email and i frequently miss messages. I can sync my outlook calender with gmail which is great, but other than that, from a work standpoint what can they really do. Office to go is useless, it misses formatting all the time and it won't show animations in Power point so I cannot even use it for presentations.

So my question is this: Has anyone found a true value in their mobile device from a work standpoint aside from email and Calender?

Why on earth would you want to route Exchange through gmail? The HTC mail client can connect to Exchange and supports ActiveSync. No need to use POP. Similarly, you can access gmail through the HTC mail app by setting it up as a IMAP account.

I know that doesn't help with your Xoom, but these devices are meant for mobile access to your mail/calendar/contacts - not a full-fledged replacement for your laptop/desktop.

Upvote 0
Must be something to do with your configuration. Mail on my Incredible S is bold when it's unread, not bold when it's read. Deleted email is removed from the inbox.

There is no indicator if I've replied/forwarded an email from Outlook, but there is a little curved arrow if I've replied from the phone. There is also a conversation view which shows how many messages there are within a conversation (and whether there are unread messages).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones