• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you a Student?

What is your student status.

• College Student

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • High School Student

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Not a Student

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
I have an associates in programming as well as one in electronics. Currently work in electronics for a defense contractor. I've wanted to get back to school to at least get a BA, but the only real option for me right now is through an online university and I just don't know if I want to run that risk. Everything I hear is that online universities are looked down on. At least I'm doing decent for myself with what I have.

You can just take online classes at a regular school. About half of my classes are online, the other half are night classes and sometimes weekends. Still gets me a degree from a regular school.

Upvote 0
I have a Master's in Organizational Development but due to the shitty economy I'm really not doing anything with it. I'm currently taking some grad level courses from K-State to keep my mind sharp.

>.> What the hell is organizational development? No offense but to me that just sounds like a "cop out" degree (i.e. unemployable)

Upvote 0
I have all my pre-requisites done and I'm applying to the Physical Therapist Assistant program at my community college this spring. I hope to get in next fall. They accept 40 students a year and going by last years scores I would place in the top 15. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My wife is a Physical Therapist with a Masters degree. She makes close to 100K. I live in Michigan and no longer have a job so I'm going back to school for a second career in my mid 30's. I'm glad I love to learn.

Upvote 0
Third, it still seems like a cop out degree to me.

Please define what you mean as a "cop out degree." This is pretty offensive as I worked my ass off for this degree. I took mostly the same classes as the MBA kids did, subtracting the accounting courses & adding psychology courses. That's what I was interested in.

I had started a MS in I/O Psych, but due to a layoff I had to drop out of the program & move to a bigger city. Two years later I had enough saved up & a good job that offered some tuition reimbursement so I was able to go back to school. About half of my credits from my I/O Psych program were able to be transfered to the new program, so that rocked. I finished w/ a GPA of 3.7.

I'm quite proud of myself, despite not being confident that I can leave my stable, decent-paying job to find work in my field at the moment in this economy. Who do you think you are to shit all over my accomplishments?

Upvote 0
Please define what you mean as a "cop out degree." This is pretty offensive as I worked my ass off for this degree. I took mostly the same classes as the MBA kids did, subtracting the accounting courses & adding psychology courses. That's what I was interested in.

I had started a MS in I/O Psych, but due to a layoff I had to drop out of the program & move to a bigger city. Two years later I had enough saved up & a good job that offered some tuition reimbursement so I was able to go back to school. About half of my credits from my I/O Psych program were able to be transfered to the new program, so that rocked. I finished w/ a GPA of 3.7.

I'm quite proud of myself, despite not being confident that I can leave my stable, decent-paying job to find work in my field at the moment in this economy. Who do you think you are to shit all over my accomplishments?

Slow down there.

He was probably wondering what kind of job you can get with this education. Honest interrogation, as I hadn't heard of this before either, so I guess we're not the only ones.

Upvote 0
Slow down there.

He was probably wondering what kind of job you can get with this education. Honest interrogation, as I hadn't heard of this before either, so I guess we're not the only ones.

It's one thing to be like "Hmm...that's interesting. I've never heard of OD before. Tell me about it. What jobs can you get with this degree?" & another thing to blatantly call it a "cop-out degree." That's a pretty obvious difference in tone. Like I mentioned, I worked hard for that degree & it took me several years to complete it due to life circumstances. That's why I got a bit defensive.

Anyway, it's a pretty versatile degree. You can go into HR, training & development, recruiting, project management, etc. Eventually, I'd like to go into business consulting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones