Are you concerned about OLED burn-in?Support

1. cuisinart

cuisinart Member

When I first saw this watch, I thought 'have to have it'. After doing some reading, I'm becoming a bit concerned that burn-in of the OLED screen could be a big drawback of jumping in this early. As others have said, $250-300 watch could make sense, if it lasts several years for primary function (smartwatch) and years after that with secondary function (just a watch). Given the OLED display, it will probably show signs of burn-in after at most 1 year. If it came with a few replacement screens that's one thing, but it most likely will not. Deal breaker?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Strings

Strings Well-Known Member

How many devices with OLED screens are on, on the same screen, long enough to actually burn in?
  3. cuisinart

cuisinart Member

From what I've read, OLED burn-in is very common at the 1-year time point, especially in places where the same thing is commonly displayed (eg, a watch dial).
  4. Mittar

Mittar Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the display won't be on all the time, but will snap on when you move your wrist to look at the display.
  5. cuisinart

cuisinart Member

Maybe part of the purpose of the black section at the bottom is a good ambient light sensor so they can drive the display as low as reasonable to increase the time to noticeable burn-in.
  6. svensett

svensett Well-Known Member

7. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

8. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

I was afraid of that. I wish there was an option to turn it off without having to install an app.
  9. halon

Outatime likes this.
  10. halon

If you are worried about possible burn-in

Wiley_11 likes this.
  11. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

That's cool but that app you posted seems to work. It leaves a little sliver of the charging circle on mine but that's not a big deal.
  12. Tlicious1020

Tlicious1020 Well-Known Member

I prefer this method until an update arrives.
  13. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

@halon - I gave your option a try tonight. Seems to be working. No point in the clock being on all night if you don't need it.
    marctronixx likes this.
  14. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Well-Known Member

I see this is an old thread, but something was never clarified...

For any potential buyers, the 360 does not have an OLED display. It's LCD. LCDs do not "burn" like OLEDs.

Sometimes, in the right conditions, they can retain images (usually extreme cold or heat) but they do not permanently burn in. If your 360 does what the images above show, it likely has a bad display panel. They shouldn't do that.
    lunatic59, marctronixx and kmf like this.