Are you getting used to the keyboard layout?Support

Last Updated:

1. anderkoo

anderkoo Member This Topic's Starter

I went to the local Sprint store and spent about 15 minutes testing out the Moment's keyboard, and I just couldn't get used to it. (There didn't seem to be a notepad app that I could find, so I went to the browser and typed into the address bar). In particular, I found the space bar too small compared with my Centro and Curve.

I've read a number of reviews that claimed "You'll get used to it," but most of those seemed to me thrown together in a few hours. Those of you who have had the Moment for more than a day: Are you getting used to the keyboard?

I also didn't immediately like how flat the keys were, again compared with the Centro and Curve. If you've had the phone for more than a few days, and especially if you came in from the more raised keyboard world, are you getting used to it?

And if not... are there any plans for Android phones that involve an exposed (non-slider) keyboard? It sounds to me like the Droid will have an even flatter keyboard, though at least somewhat more standard of a layout...

Advertisement
  2. cds36

cds36 Well-Known Member

Im finding that im typing a little faster the more i use it honestly, I came from a curve, and Htc Hero and at first it was really wierd to use, the space bar is pretty lame if you ask me, you need to hit it on the left or right corners to activate it, if you hit it exactly in the middle it wont work sometimes. I have bigger fingers so the keyboard is working out well for me, the virtual keyboard isnt as bad as the hero i think cause of the bigger screen the keys are better spaced and easier for me to hit.

3. anderkoo

Thanks, cds36. My problem in the store was that the phone was bolted down so I couldn't really hold it.

I have small hands so I've found tiny little keys fine, as long as they were tactile enough. If anything I'm worried that the Moment's keyboard is too wide (besides being weird). And I couldn't get used to iPhone at all so forget the Hero...

4. LincKraker

LincKraker Well-Known Member

I agree with cds36 the more i use it the faster i get with it. i came from a touch pro which had 5 rows of keys. i liked the touch pros keyboard more than this one but i'm getting used to it.

5. sboggus

sboggus Well-Known Member

I agree the spacebar is very lame, but I am getting used to it more and more and typing much faster as I progress.

6. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

I am used to it after 3 days and have no problems typing now.

7. anderkoo

Alright, you guys might have me sold on the Moment.

I'm still having a hard time forgiving Sprint for the way they've treated me despite 12 years of my business... but I'll get over that. Assuming they don't go under.

8. Gremlyn1

Gremlyn1 Well-Known Member

Getting used to it seemed pretty quick for me. At first I would type a 'b' instead of an 'n' and and 'a' instead of an 's', but my fingers know their way around now and the somewhat odd middle-row offset really isn't a big deal.

9. jebrank

jebrank Well-Known Member

If you want to try it without a cable locking it down you can try the BestBuy in your area! Thats where I tried it. I like it a lot. I came from Blackberry>iPhone(jumped on bandwagon BAD idea)>hero>Moment within two months. I still like the BlackBerry keyboard best but quickly liking the Moments just fine.

GoodLuck

10. KoukiFC3S

I just want to reiterate that the Moment's keyboard is awesome!

I am envious of the Droid; but certainly not its keyboard.

11. forty2

forty2 Well-Known Member

The first couple days it was a little weird, but I'm having no problems now.

12. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Loving the keyboard, at first some problems, got past them within the first hour or less. If you can not adapt to something as simple as keyboard layout, how do you adapt to serious changes in real life? I mean you can complain and whine about losing your job all you want, though doing so is not gonna put food on the table.

13. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

I have to say I really love the keyboard. I had the Hero and it took some getting used to, as did switching to this. My fingers fly over the moments keyboard. No way I could ever do that on the Hero.

14. TaintedsPrincess

TaintedsPrincess New Member

I've had the phone for 4 days now. I came from the original Rumor, and this being my first smartphone I find that I LOVE the keyboard. I took a little bit to get used to the spacebar but I find that I don't mind it and I'm typing faster on it the more I use it. I find that I am really enjoying the fact that the numbers have their own row and is not a shift function!!

Myndi

15. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Be honest with you, the virtual keyboard is way better than I had expected. I end up using it more than I thought. The Hero(and Instinct) seemed that you could touch the phone in the EXACT same spot and you would get 2 different results. This one I just manage to hit the right keys for some reason. It is very plain looking and doesn't really give you confidence looking at it as far as the size of the keys go...but it just works. Anyway, there is my review of the virtual keyboard.

16. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. My limited use of the v. keyboard, and its been as limited as possible except for real quick messages, has shown it to be a better v. keyboard than the Hero.

17. Gremlyn1

Gremlyn1 Well-Known Member

I find the VKB (see what I did there? ;)) to be fine when in landscape view, but my big ol' fingers have trouble with it in portrait. But other than that, I find it relatively useful. I use it when I am sending quick texts or gtalk messages

18. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

I think any VKB in portrait mode to be useless.....especially the Hero's.

19. petrafan007

petrafan007 Well-Known Member

using the keyboard is fine. my only beef is the absolutely absurd 2-button-made-1 spacebar. Are you frackin' kidding me? What the hell is that? Anyways, I've gotten mostly used to it since Monday.

20. satinkzo

satinkzo Well-Known Member

It's a learning curve for me. I was on a touch pro before. I had a hero for a short while and I actually liked it's on-screen keyboard, but so far, the moment's keyboard is pretty easy to use (sans the stupid spacebar setup as noted above). With any keyboard, it's mostly just getting used to where the symbols and stuff are at

21. KoukiFC3S

Just typed the first page of my essay on my Moment. :D

Then used Sugarsync to send the file to my PC. Android ftw!

22. dmoseder

dmoseder Member

I came from a curve and i could type on it with my eyes closed. I am getting used to this keyboard after a few days now. Its pretty easy for me to type now. Getting faster every day.

23. got2weims

got2weims Member

This is my first phone with this type of keyboard. It is getting easier for me to use (have only had since last night).

24. billecorgan

billecorgan New Member

I personally love the keyboard now. I wasn't so happy at first. It did take some getting use to. At first, I had to look at the keys while typing.

25. kayawire

kayawire Well-Known Member

The only exception being the iphone....that was the only way I used the VKB, in portrait mode! I know, we're talking android phones here, but you gotta give credit where credit is due;)